White Pine Award
|White Pine Award|
|Awarded for||Awarded to various outstanding works of Canadian young adult literature (Grades 9-12)|
|Presented by||Ontario Library Association|
The White Pine Award is an annual literature award sponsored by the Ontario Library Association (OLA) that has awarded Canadian young adult books since 2002. Its goals are:
- to promote reading for enjoyment among high school students
- to make students aware of quality Canadian young adult books
- to provide opportunities for students to discuss the nominated titles in an authentic manner
Every year, award winners are chosen through the votes of students across Ontario.
In order to vote for the winner, one must register at the local branch library and read a minimum of 5 of the 10 nominated books. The program ends in April (of that year), with the voting day usually on April 18. Based on student voting across the province, the most popular book is then selected and author is honored with the White Pine Award. There are usually about 10 different nominees for the award every year.
2002: Dancing Naked, written by Shelley Hrdlitschka. Orca Book Publishers.
2003: A Foreign Field, written by Gillian Chan. Kids Can Press.
2004: The First Stone, written by Don Aker. HarperCollins.
2005: More Than You Can Chew, written by Marnelle Tokio. Tundra.
2006: The Blue Girl, written by Charles De Lint. Viking.
2007: Shattered, written by Eric Walters. Viking/Penguin.
2008: Keturah & Lord Death, written by Martine Leavitt. Red Deer Press.
2010: Mostly Happy, written by Pam Bustin. Thistledown Press.
2011: The Monkeyface Chronicles, written by Richard Scarsbrook. Thistledown Press.
2012: " The Gathering", written by Kelley Armstrong. Harper Teen.
2013: "Dark Inside", written by Jeyn Roberts Simon & Schuster.
2014: "Live to Tell", written by Lisa Harrington. Cormorant Books.
2016: "The Bodies We Wear", written by Jeyn Roberts Knopf Books.
The winners and nominees of the White Pine Award are used as studying material for high schools in the York Catholic District School Board (YCDSB) in York Region, Ontario.
- Burlington Public Library. "Award Winning Books." Burlington Public Library. 2009. Burlington Public Library. 19 Dec 2009. <http://www.bpl.on.ca/teens/read/awards/whitepine.htm>.
- Ontario Library Association. "White Pine Award." Ontario Library Association. 2009. Ontario Library Association. 19 Dec 2009. <http://www.accessola.com/ola/bins/content_page.asp?cid=92-263>.
- Ontario Library Association. "White Pine Award Winners." Ontario Library Association. 2009. Ontario Library Association. 19 Dec 2009. <http://www.accessola.com/ola/bins/content_page.asp?cid=92-263-265>.