White River Light
White River Light Station,
Source: U.S. Coast Guard Archives
|Location||Near Whitehall, Michigan|
|Year first lit||1872 South Pier,
1876 Main Tower
|Construction||'Norman Gothic Style' |
|Markings / pattern||Cream yellow brick|
|Original lens||Fourth order Fresnel lens|
|Range||Visible for about 14 miles (23 km)|
|Characteristic||Original lens a fixed white light with a red flash once each minute. 1912, light flashed white for 10 seconds then dark for 10 seconds & repeated.|
The White River Light is a lighthouse on Lake Michigan near the city of Whitehall, Michigan. It sits on a thin peninsula of land separating Lake Michigan from White Lake. The building was built in 1875.
The lighthouse is open to the public as a museum with regular hours posted from Memorial Weekend through August 31. The lighthouse is also open through September and October with reduced hours. The museum has a number of artifacts from the passenger and freight shipping on the lakes in addition to information on the light itself.
- Tag, Thomas A., White River Light Station, Softcover (Dayton, OH: Data Image, 1996) p. 30 & 37. ISBN 0-9649980-2-5
- Tag, Thomas A., White River Light Station, Softcover (Dayton, OH: Data Image, 1996) p. 21. ISBN 0-9649980-2-5
- Tag, Thomas A., White River Light Station, Softcover (Dayton, OH: Data Image, 1996) p. 35 & 37. ISBN 0-9649980-2-5
- Thomas A. Tag (1996) White River Light Station, Softcover (Dayton, OH: Data Image, 1996) p.8. ISBN 0-9649980-2-5
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to White River Lighthouse.|
- Beacons in the Night, Michigan Lighthouse Chronology, Clarke Historical Library, Central Michigan University.
- Lighthouse Central, Photographs, History, Directions and Way points for White River Light, The Ultimate Guide to West Michigan Lighthouses by Jerry Roach (Publisher: Bugs Publishing LLC - 2005). ISBN 0-9747977-0-7.
- Official Site for the White River Lighthouse Museum
- White River Light Page from Seeing the Light
- Page from Maritime Heritage Program's Inventory of Historic Light Stations
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Michigan". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- White River Light Page at Lighthousefreinds.com
- White River Page from Michigan Lighthouse Conservancy
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in Michigan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|