White Rock Christian Academy
|White Rock Christian Academy|
|South Surrey, British Columbia
|School type||Private School|
|Head of school||David Michel|
White Rock Christian Academy (WRCA) is a JK-12 Christian private school in South Surrey, British Columbia, Canada. WRCA states that its core purpose is "to inspire and cultivate citizens of Godly character who transform their world for Christ."
White Rock Christian Academy opened its doors on September 1981 using Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) as its core curriculum. In September 1990 the curriculum was changed from ACE to a B.C. approved curriculum taught from a distinct Christian perspective. WRCA has developed over the years into a Ministry of Education certified institute with a quickly growing enrollment of students from Junior Kindergarten all the way to Grade 12. As of September 2017, enrollment is over 500 students with over 60 faculty members and support staff. The Junior school has two classes per grade with class sizes ranging from 20 to 24 students per class. Today, the school offers the International Baccalaureate program to all students.
The school has one main building (approximately 40,000 sq ft (3,700 m2) includes classrooms, a chapel, gymnasium, science lab and administrative offices. There are also 16 portables on site. Currently the campus is undergoing redevelopment and construction of a new building is underway and expected to open for September 2018. The construction of the new building is funded by private donations, largely from parents and financing from a Canadian Bank.
WRCA is currently offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma program and is a candidate school for the Primary and Middle Years Programs. Every course is taught from a biblical Christian worldview. In addition, Bible is taught as one of the mandatory subjects in the school. Students are challenged to acquire knowledge and to use this knowledge to impact their present and future community for good.
The school arts program develops students through creative and innovative expressions in visual art, band, choir and musical theater. Every year the school opens its doors and invite the community to enjoy a musical production. Every student is also required to learn an instrument and participate in a school concert twice a year.
WRCA has a history of athletic excellence. Competing against larger schools, athletes have won several Fraser Valley and Provincial Championships in Basketball, Volleyball and Track and Field. The boys basketball program has produced 5-time Senior Provincial Champions, 6-time Senior Fraser Valley Champions, 12-time Surrey RCMP Tournament Champions, Junior Provincial Champions, and 2-time Junior Fraser Valley Champions. The girls volleyball program has produced 5-time Senior Provincial Champions, 12-time Senior Fraser Valley Champions, and Grade 8 Surrey Champions. The Cross country program has produced 6-time Fraser Valley Champions and 2013 BCCSSAA Champions. The Track and Field program have produced 10-time Individual Provincial Champions and 2014 Surrey Champions. Most recently in 2016, the WRCA Senior Girls Volleyball team won the ‘A’ Provincial Championship.
Mission and Service
WRCA service and mission program encourages serving through local and global mission projects. The program follows an outline of seeing (Grades JK-2), caring (Grades 3-5), knowing (Grades 6-10) and going (Grades 11-12). Students over the years begin locally with regular visits to Arocha and then out on mission trips to Japan, Indonesia, Guatemala, and India.
WRCA has a number of extracurricular opportunities which students are encouraged to participate in, and many are integrated into the school curriculum. These include:
- Math Club
- Chess Club
- Destination Imagination (DI)
- Year Book Club
- Outdoor Education
- Ski Club
- Rockridge Camp
- Camp MOSS
- Camp Luther
- Drama Club
- Jazz Club
- "White Rock Christian Academy | Private IB School in South Surrey". White Rock Christian Academy. Retrieved 2017-08-14.
- "Our Story | White Rock Christian Academy". White Rock Christian Academy. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "Frequently Asked Questions About the International Baccalaureate Programme at WRCA". White Rock Christian Academy. 2017-01-20. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "Project: White Rock Christian Academy - Omicron - A Better Way to Develop, Design and Build". Omicron. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "White Rock Christian Academy to build new school - Peace Arch News". Peace Arch News. 2017-03-24. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "Groundbreaking". White Rock Christian Academy. 2017-03-23. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "Musical Begins Today". White Rock Christian Academy. 2017-04-26. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "Sam Shury (Surrey-White Rock Christian Academy)". The Province. 2010-06-20. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "WRCA Warriors close in on provincial berth - Peace Arch News". Peace Arch News. 2013-02-25. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "WRCA's Johnston soars to provincial medals - Surrey Now-Leader". Surrey Now-Leader. 2014-06-05. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "Warriors are Provincial Champs". White Rock Christian Academy. 2016-12-08. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "WRCA students off to global Destination Imagination challenge - Peace Arch News". Peace Arch News. 2016-05-12. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "2017 Provincial Tournament Results - Destination Imagination". Destination Imagination. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "Destination Imagination Success". White Rock Christian Academy. 2017-04-10. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "SALTS Sail and Life Training Society - Home". The Sail and Life Training Society. Retrieved 2017-08-15.