White Settlement, Texas
|City of White Settlement, Texas|
Location of White Settlement in Tarrant County, Texas
|• City Council||Mayor Ronald A. White
|• City Manager||Jim Ryan|
|• Total||5.1 sq mi (13.1 km2)|
|• Land||5.1 sq mi (13.1 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||666 ft (203 m)|
|• Density||3,200/sq mi (1,200/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1349989|
White Settlement is located at (32.759280, -97.460442).
As of the census of 2000, there were 14,831 people, 5,614 households, and 3,789 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,043.9 people per square mile (1,175.8/km²). There were 6,027 housing units at an average density of 1,237.0 per square mile (477.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 85.83% White, 4.05% African American, 0.58% Native American, 1.46% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 4.51% from other races, and 3.49% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 13.60% of the population. There were 5,614 households out of which 34.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.3% were married couples living together, 16.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.5% were non-families. 26.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.3% under the age of 18, 10.3% from 18 to 24, 30.0% from 25 to 44, 20.0% from 45 to 64, and 12.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 93.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $32,598, and the median income for a family was $36,338. Males had a median income of $28,363 versus $22,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,440. About 11.2% of families and 15.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.9% of those under age 18 and 10.1% of those age 65 or over.
During Fall months, City officials and the homecoming queen of local Brewer High School, host the annual White Settlement Chicken Dance Festival. A contest is held and as many as 173 contestants (2009) compete for the Turkey Leg Trophy. Current Trophy holder is James Moore with 6 back to back championships.
White Settlement is also the winter home of several groups of Irish Travellers.
The name of White Settlement originated as a result of there being two settlements in the area: one occupied predominantly by Native Americans (near where Fort Worth is located today), and the other one being occupied by white settlers. The latter settlement received the name "White Settlement" as a way to distinguish itself from the Native American settlement. The city was incorporated in 1941.
On October 14, 2005, city leaders announced a plan to have local voters decide on a possible name change for the town from White Settlement to West Settlement. In the November 8 election, the name change was overwhelmingly rejected by a vote of 2388 to 219.
Government and infrastructure
The City of White Settlement is served by the White Settlement Independent School District.
The White Settlement Public Library is located in the Municipal Complex.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): White Settlement city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): White Settlement city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "White Settlement city, Texas." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on May 24, 2010.
- "Post Office Location - WHITE SETTLEMENT." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on May 24, 2010.
- "Library Department." City of White Settlement. Retrieved on May 24, 2010.
- City of White Settlement official website
- White Settlement Area Chamber of Commerce website
- White Settlement Public Library
- Town to keep White name
- History of White Settlement
Official Paper - The Grizzly Detail Newspaper www.grizzlydetail.com