White pride is a slogan primarily used by white separatist, white nationalist, neo-Nazi and white supremacist organizations to signal their racist viewpoints. Sociologists Betty A. Dobratz and Stephanie L Shanks-Meile identified "White Power! White Pride!" as "a much-used chant of white separatist movement supporters", and sociologist Mitch Berbrier has identified the use of this phrase as part of a "new racist... frame-transformation and frame-alignment by (a) consciously packaging a 'hate-free' racism, (b) developing strategies of equivalence and reversal–presenting whites as equivalent to ethnic and racial minorities, and (c) deploying ideas about 'love,' 'pride,' and 'heritage-preservation' to evidence both their putative lack of animosity toward others as well as their ethnic credentials." Anti-racist critics argue that the idea of "white pride" is an attempt provide a clean or more palatable public face for white supremacy and white separatism; it is an appeal to a larger audience in hopes of inciting more widespread racial violence. According to Joseph T. Roy of the Southern Poverty Law Center, white supremacists often circulate material on the internet and elsewhere that "portrays the groups not as haters, but as simple white pride civic groups concerned with social ills".
White pride advocates say they believe there is a cultural double standard in which only certain ethnic groups are permitted to openly express pride in their heritage, and that white pride is not inherently racist, being roughly analogous to racial positions such as black pride, Asian pride, or non-racial forms such as gay pride. Philosopher David Ingram argues that "affirming 'black pride' is not equivalent to affirming 'white pride,' since the former—unlike the latter—is a defensive strategy aimed at rectifying a negative stereotype". By contrast, then, "affirmations of white pride—however thinly cloaked as affirmations of ethnic pride—serve to mask and perpetuate white privilege". In the same vein, Professor of Education at University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, Cris Mayo, identifies white pride as "a politically distasteful goal, given that whiteness is not a personal or community identity, but has been a strategy to maintain inequities of privilege and power."
Political scientists Carol M. Swain and Russell Nieli, in their text on white nationalism, identify the white pride movement as a relatively new phenomenon in the United States. They argue that over the course of the 1990s, "a new white pride, white protest, and white consciousness movement has developed in America". They identify three contributing factors: an immigrant influx during the 1980s and 1990s, resentment over affirmative action policies, and the growth of the Internet as a tool for the expression and mobilization of grievances.
The slogan "White Pride, World Wide" appears in the logo of Stormfront, a website owned and operated by Don Black, who was formerly a Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. The North Georgia White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan describe themselves as "a patriotic, White Christian revival movement dedicated to preserving the maintenance of White Pride and the rights of the White Race". The slogan was chanted by neo-Nazis rallying in Manchester, United Kingdom, and in an exposé from The Week, James Poulos warned that "Europe is on track to rediscover what looks to us like a highly unsettling form of white pride."
- "Neo-Nazi group and anti-racism protesters clash in Calgary". The Star (Toronto). March 21, 2009.
- Rozsa, Matthew. "5 reasons “white pride” is always racist". Salon.com. Salon.com.
- Van McVey, Sarah (2008). Race, Gender, and the Contemporary White Supremacy Movement: The Intersection of "isms" and Organized Racist Groups. ProQuest.
- Dobratz & Shanks-Meile 2001, p. vii
- Berbrier, Mitch (1998-11-01). "“Half the Battle”: Cultural Resonance, Framing Processes, and Ethnic Affectations in Contemporary White Separatist Rhetoric". Social Problems 45 (4): 431–450. doi:10.2307/3097206. ISSN 0037-7791.
- Swain, Carol M. (2002), The New White Nationalism in America: Its Challenge to Integration, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, p. 16, ISBN 0-521-80886-3
- Roy, Joseph T. (September 14, 1999), Statement of Joseph T. Roy, Sr. before the Senate Judiciary Committee, U.S. Senate Committee on The Judiciary, archived from the original on 2008-05-20, retrieved 2015-01-21
- "Speech by National Rifle Association First Vice President Charlton Heston Delivered at the Free Congress Foundation's 20th Anniversary Gala". National Rifle Association Information. Violence Policy Center. 1997-12-07. Retrieved 2008-06-13.
- Moritz, Justin J. (August 3, 2005), "Feds Rule "White Pride" is "Offensive" and "Immoral"", American Renaissance, retrieved 2008-05-22.
- Ingram, David (2004), Rights, Democracy, and Fulfillment in the Era of Identity Politics: Principled Compromises in a Compromised World, Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, p. 55, ISBN 0-7425-3348-4.
- "Certain Privilege: Rethinking White Agency | Mayo | Philosophy of Education Archive". ojs.ed.uiuc.edu. p. 311. Retrieved 2015-09-04.
- *Swain, Carol M.; Nieli, Russell (2003), Contemporary Voices of White Nationalism in America, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, p. 5, ISBN 0-521-01693-2.
- Faulk 1997
- Hilliard & Keith 1999, p. 63
- O'Leary, Abigail (28 March 2015). "Arrests at White Pride rally in Manchester city centre's Piccadilly Gardens". Manchester Evening News (MEN Media). Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Poulos, James (13 April 2015). "Europe's shocking and unsettling future: White pride". The Week (Michael Wolfe). Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Dobratz, Betty A.; Shanks-Meile, Stephanie L. (2001), The White Separatist Movement in the United States: White Power, White Pride, Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, ISBN 0-8018-6537-9.
- Faulk, Kent (October 19, 1997), "White Supremacist Spreads Views over the Internet", The Birmingham News.
- Hilliard, Robert L.; Keith, Michael C. (1999), Waves of Rancor: Tuning in the Radical Right, Amonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, ISBN 978-0-7656-0131-5.
- Ingram, David (2004), Rights, Democracy, and Fulfillment in the Era of Identity Politics: Principled Compromises in a Compromised World, Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, ISBN 0-7425-3348-4.
- Swain, Carol M.; Nieli, Russell (2003), Contemporary Voices of White Nationalism in America, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-01693-2.