Whitegate, County Cork
An Geata Bán
|Dáil Constituency||Cork East|
|Time zone||UTC+0 (WET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-1 (IST (WEST))|
Once a fishing port and known for lace-making, in the 20th-century Whitegate became the location for Ireland's only oil refinery, which was built on Corkbeg Island on one side of the bay. Since 2016, this refinery has been owned by Irving Oil. Aghada Power Generating plant lies on the other side of the bay.
The Hiberno-Norman FitzGerald family (a sub-branch of the Desmond Geraldines that owned Corkbeg and Lisquinlan), were landowners in the area. Following a marriage between the FitzGerald and Uniacke families, ownership of lands at Corkbeg and Whitegate transferred to Col Robert Uniacke. After marrying Helena FitzGerald, Robert Uniacke assumed the name and arms of the FitzGeralds. Ultimately Uniacke Fitzgerald's nephew, another Col Robert Uniacke Fitzgerald, built a great house on the estate lands. The Corkbeg and Lisquinlan estates were later willed to Sir Robert Uniacke-Penrose-FitzGerald 1st Bt of Corkbeg and Lisquinlan who died 1919 without issue. Whitegate House, dating from c.1780, still stands at Whitegate.
- "Census 2016 - SAPMAP Area - Settlements - Whitegate". Census 2016. CSO. 2016. Retrieved 19 August 2018.
- "Placenames Database of Ireland". Retrieved 13 October 2012.
- "Whitegate Refinery deal done, new owners say jobs secure". Independent News and Media. 10 September 2016.
- "Three homes damaged in fire". Irish Examiner. 18 June 2008.
- "Man arrested after arson attack". Irish Examiner. 19 June 2008.
- R. G. FitzGerald-Uniacke (30 June 1912). "The FitzGeralds of Glenane, Co. Cork". The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland. 6. Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland. 2: 165. JSTOR 25514232.
- "Whitegate House, Strand Road, Whitegate, County Cork". buildingsofireland.ie. National Inventory of Architectural Heritage. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "House - Whitegate House". landedestates.nuigalway.ie. NUIG Landed Estates Database. Retrieved 17 November 2018.