Whitehall High School (Pennsylvania)
|Whitehall High School|
|3800 Mechanicsville Road
Whitehall, PA 18052
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Whitehall-Coplay School District|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Athletics conference||Eastern Pennsylvania Conference|
Whitehall High School is a public high school, based in Whitehall Township, Pennsylvania, in Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley region, in the United States. It is the only high school in the Whitehall-Coplay School District. As of the 2006-2007 academic school year, 1,393 students attend the school.
In 2007, Whitehall High School earned second place in the Scholastic Scrimmage final.
One Freddy Award was won by Whitehall High School in 2016 for the production of Guys and Dolls: Outstanding Stage Crew. This would be the third consecutive year that Whitehall has won this award. Although only one award was won out of 13 total nominations (the school's record for most nominations in a single year), the cast of this year's show was able to perform "Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat" onstage for the school's nomination of Best Overall Production, the last year being 2011.
In 2015, Whitehall High School won two awards for their production of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying: Outstanding Use of Scenery and Outstanding Stage Crew, both of which are the second consecutive year that Whitehall has won these awards.
In 2014, Whitehall High School won three Freddy Awards for its production of South Pacific, including Outstanding Use of Scenery, Outstanding Stage Crew, and Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role.
In 2011, Whitehall High School won one Freddy Award for Best Overall Production for the production of Li'l Abner. This marked the first time that any school has won this award twice.
Whitehall High School won five Freddy Awards in 2007, including Best Overall Production, Best Actor, Best Solo Vocal Performance, Best Costume Design, and Best Small Ensemble Performance for the production of The Scarlet Pimpernel.
In 2006, Whitehall High School won three Freddy Awards, including Best Actor, Best Featured Dancer, and Best Costume Design for the production of Barnum.
Whitehall High School is one of 12 high schools that comprise the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference, generally considered one of the highest quality athletic conferences in Pennsylvania. Prior to 2014 this league was called the Lehigh Valley Conference, and was called the East Penn Conference prior to 2001. Whitehall was in District XI of this conference.
Whitehall alumni in the NFL
Whitehall High School has given birth to two notable NFL players: Dan Koppen, the current starting offensive center for the New England Patriots, and Matt Millen, a former defensive linebacker with three Super Bowl-winning teams. Millen is generally considered one of the most elite linebackers to ever play the game, though his career as President and General Manager of the Detroit Lions has been a subject of criticism.
Between Koppen and Millen, Whitehall alumni have won six Super Bowls, with Koppen winning two with the Patriots and Millen winning two with the Oakland Raiders, one with the San Francisco 49ers and one with the Washington Redskins. Both players' Whitehall jerseys (Koppen's #77 and Millen's #83) have been permanently retired in honor of their football accomplishments.
State and national championships
Whitehall has distinguished itself nationally and in the state of Pennsylvania with the following state and national championships:
- Boys Basketball: 1982 (Pennsylvania state champions).
- Cheerleading: 2001 (National champions).
- Wrestling: 2001 and 2002 (Christian Franco, Pennsylvania state champion at 140 lb. weight class, 2002).
- Indoor Percussion: 2003 Concert Percussion Champions; 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 World Class Champions.
- Marching Zephyr Band: 2006 State and All-State Champions, 2007 State Champions
Lehigh Valley Conference championships
Whitehall has won many Lehigh Valley Conference championships, including the following sports and years (prior to 2001, the Lehigh Valley Conference was known as the East Penn Conference):
- Baseball: 1966, 1972, 1974, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1984, 2004, 2005 and 2008.
- Boys Basketball: 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004 and 2005.
- Cheerleading: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 and 2001.
- Football: 1976, 1978, 1980, 1981 (tri-champions with Dieruff High School and Emmaus High School), 1982, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1995, 1997, 1998 and 2005.
- Girls Basketball: 1982, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989 and 2000.
- Girls Softball: 1979, 1988 and 1989.
- Boys Volleyball: 2010.
- Girls Soccer: 2011.
- Brian Knobs (Brian Yandrisovitz), former professional wrestler
- Dan Koppen, professional football player, Denver Broncos
- Matt Millen, former professional football player, Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers and Washington Redskins, former President and General Manager, Detroit Lions and current broadcaster, ESPN and NFL Network
- Jerry Sags (Jerome Saganowich), former professional wrestler
- Curt Simmons, former professional baseball player, California Angels, Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia Phillies and St. Louis Cardinals
- Whitehall High School Official Home Page.
- Whitehall High School Official Athletics Home Page.
- Whitehall High School athletics schedule and scores.
- Whitehall High School Page at Lehigh Valley Conference Official Web Site.