This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Opening page as of January 20, 2017
Type of site
|Available in||English, Spanish (Formerly)a|
|Owner||Federal government of the United States|
|Alexa rank||2,167 (March 2017[update])|
|Launched||October 20, 1994|
whitehouse.gov is the official website of the White House and is owned by the United States government. Launched in October 1994, it contains information about the President, the Vice President, their families, press releases, proclamations, executive orders, and some speeches by White House officials. It has the official web sites of several offices in the Executive Office of the President, such as the Office of Management and Budget and the Office of Science and Technology Policy.
The website has been completely redesigned for each new president. Websites for former presidents in office are moved to archive versions. As of 2011, the website is considered among the best of the United States federal government.
The current administration's website is broken into the following sections:
- The Briefing Room
- The Administration
- 1600 Penn
In July 2001, the White House started switching their web servers to an operating system based on Red Hat Linux and using the Apache HTTP Server. The installation was completed in February 2009. In October 2009, the White House servers adopted Drupal, a free and open-source content management system, which runs on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
On September 1, 2011, David Plouffe announced in an email that the White House is releasing "We the People" to allow public petitions on whitehouse.gov. The launch of the petitioning platform was announced by Katelyn Sabochik September 22, 2011 in a White House blog post.
- Donald Trump on social media
- Whitehouse.com, a former adult website
- Whitehouse.org, a parody website
- List of websites founded before 1995
- President Trump
- 1600 Pennsylvania Ave
^a A Spanish version of whitehouse.gov was used during the Bush and Obama administrations. As of January 20, 2017, the Spanish Version of whitehouse.gov under the Trump administration was removed.
- "Whitehouse.gov Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved March 8, 2017.
- "Vice President Unveils First Interactive Citizens' Handbook". The White House, Office of the Vice President. October 20, 1994. Retrieved February 15, 2011.
- "WhiteHouse.gov WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools". WHOIS. Retrieved September 20, 2016.
- "Scout Report: Week ending October 21, 1994". October 21, 1994. Retrieved December 28, 2008.
- "The Digital Transition: How the Presidential Transition Works in the Social Media Age". archives.gov. October 31, 2016. Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- Mordecai Lee; Grant Neeley; Kendra Stewart (4 August 2011). The Practice of Government Public Relations. CRC Press. pp. 64–. ISBN 978-1-4398-3466-4.
- "Copyright Policy". whitehouse.gov. January 16, 2017. Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- John Leyden (2001-07-24). "White House Web site moves to Linux". The Register. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- Savio Rodrigues (2009-10-28). "How Whitehouse.gov Will Bring Open Source To The American Spotlight". LinuxProNews.com. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols (2009-10-29). "Obama Invites Open Source into the White House". PC World. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- Netcraft (2011-08-26). "OS, Web Server and Hosting History for whitehouse.gov". Netcraft. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- OSTP Director John P. Holdren (2010-04-07). "Office of Science & Technology - Open Government Plan". The White House. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- Justin Ryan (2010-04-22). "Oval Office Goes Open Source". Linux Journal. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- "Red Hat’s Decade of Collaboration with Government and the Open Source Community". Red Hat. Retrieved 2017-07-29.
- "White House blog press release regarding the new "We the People" petitioning platform". WhiteHouse.gov. September 22, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Whitehouse.gov.|