Thetford Township, Michigan
|• Total||34.8 sq mi (90.0 km2)|
|• Land||34.7 sq mi (89.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2) 0.20%|
|Elevation||781 ft (238 m)|
|• Density||238.6/sq mi (92.2/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627159|
- Thetford Center is an unincorporated community in the township at Center and Vienna Roads.
- Whitesburg is an unincorporated community in the township on Vassar Road, north of Scott Road and south of Dodge Road. It formerly had a post office and a railroad station.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 34.8 square miles (90 km2), of which 34.7 square miles (90 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (0.20%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,277 people, 2,975 households, and 2,299 families residing in the township. The population density was 238.6 per square mile (92.2/km²). There were 3,072 housing units at an average density of 88.6 per square mile (34.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 94.42% White, 2.91% African American, 0.69% Native American, 0.24% Asian, 0.51% from other races, and 1.23% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.87% of the population.
There were 2,975 households out of which 37.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.4% were married couples living together, 11.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.7% were non-families. 18.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.77 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the township the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 31.4% from 25 to 44, 24.7% from 45 to 64, and 7.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 99.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.3 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $47,175, and the median income for a family was $50,378. Males had a median income of $41,533 versus $25,884 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,057. About 5.8% of families and 7.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.6% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Thetford Township, Michigan
- Genesee County Map. J. Shively. State of Michigan Department of Information Technology Technology Center for Genographic Information. September 2007.
- Map of Genesee County, Michigan. Drawn, compiled, and edited by H.F. Walling, C.E. ... Published by R.M. & S.T. Tackabury, Detroit, Mich. Entered ... 1873, by H.F. Walling ... Washington. The Claremont Manufacturing Company, Claremont, N.H., Book Manufacturers
- County: Genesee, MI. Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum.