Whitewater Township, Michigan
|Whitewater Township, Michigan|
|• Total||53.6 sq mi (138.8 km2)|
|• Land||47.8 sq mi (123.9 km2)|
|• Water||5.8 sq mi (14.9 km2)|
|Elevation||817 ft (249 m)|
|• Density||51.6/sq mi (19.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627268|
- Angell (sometimes shortened to Angel) is a ghost town in the northern part of the township. ( ).
- Francis is a ghost town ( )
- Mabel is a ghost town east of Williamsburg at .
- Palaestrum is an unincorporated community near western Elk Lake ( ).
- Rosina Beach is a ghost town just south of Skegemog Point
- Skegemog Point is an unincorporated community on the western shores of Lake Skegemog ( ).
- Truax is a community ( ).
- Tunk is a ghost town northeast of Mabel ( ).
- Williamsburg is an unincorporated community in the township on M-72 about midway between Traverse City and Kalkaska at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 53.6 square miles (139 km2), of which 47.8 square miles (124 km2) is land and 5.8 square miles (15 km2) (10.77%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,467 people, 896 households, and 712 families residing in the township. The population density was 51.6 per square mile (19.9/km²). There were 1,176 housing units at an average density of 24.6 per square mile (9.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.08% White, 0.28% African American, 0.93% Native American, 0.57% Asian, 0.20% Pacific Islander, 0.28% from other races, and 0.65% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.93% of the population.
There were 896 households out of which 37.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 70.8% were married couples living together, 4.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.5% were non-families. 15.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.0% under the age of 18, 5.0% from 18 to 24, 28.9% from 25 to 44, 27.0% from 45 to 64, and 12.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 103.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $49,572, and the median income for a family was $54,737. Males had a median income of $38,500 versus $22,438 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,890. About 3.4% of families and 4.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.1% of those under age 18 and 4.8% of those age 65 or over.