Whiting, New Jersey
Whiting, New Jersey
|Coordinates: 39°57′16″N 74°22′43″W / 39.95444°N 74.37861°WCoordinates: 39°57′16″N 74°22′43″W / 39.95444°N 74.37861°W|
|Elevation||180 ft (55 m)|
|GNIS feature ID||0881807|
Whiting is an unincorporated community located on the west side of Manchester Township in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. It is in the Eastern Standard time zone with an elevation of 180 ft. It is home to various retirement communities. The ZIP Code Tabulation Area for the Whiting 08759 ZIP code has a population of 33,180 as of the 2019 Population Estimates Program from the United States Census Bureau.
Whiting was once a station stop on the Southern branch of the Central Railroad of New Jersey, a line known for the Blue Comet express. Whiting Station was located at the intersection of Diamond Road and Station Road.
St. Mary Academy near Manahawkin, a K-8 school of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Trenton, is in the area. From 1997, until 2019 it operated as All Saints Regional Catholic School and was collectively managed by five churches, with one being St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church in Whiting. In 2019 St. Mary Church in Barnegat took over control of the school, which remained on the same Manahawkin campus, and changed its name. The other churches no longer operate the school but still may send students there.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with Whiting include:
- Joe Cinderella (1927–2012), jazz guitarist.
- ^ "Whiting". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey, United States Department of the Interior. Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- ^ Locality Search, State of New Jersey. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- ^ "Whiting, New Jersey Information". ePodunk.
- ^ "Household Income, Whiting Population & Demographics - Point2". www.point2homes.com. Retrieved March 17, 2021.
- ^ Data for ZCTA 08759, United States Census Bureau. Accessed March 17, 2021.
- ^ Boom time at edge of Pinelands: New priorities transform towns. Asbury Park Press (November 10, 2005). Archived copy at WebCite (January 17, 2010).
- ^ "Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved July 4, 2022.
- ^ a b "All Saints Regional school to become St. Mary Academy under administration of Barnegat parish". Roman Catholic Diocese of Trenton. December 19, 2018. Retrieved June 23, 2020.
- ^ a b Heyboer, Kelly (June 11, 2019). "These are all the N.J. Catholic schools closing and merging this year". Nj.com. Retrieved June 23, 2020.
- ^ Tamarkin, Jeff. "Guitarist Joe Cinderella Dies at 85; Career began in '50s and touched on pop as well as jazz", JazzTimes, November 5, 2012. Accessed April 21, 2017. "Guitarist Joe Cinderella passed away on Oct. 27 at the age of 85, in his home in Whiting, N.J., of natural causes."
- Whiting Reading Center – Ocean County Library
- Whiting Current Weather Conditions
- Whiting Memorial Park & Mausoleum