Reading Rooms, Whitley
|Whitley shown within Wiltshire|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Whitley is a village in the civil parish of Melksham Without, Wiltshire, England. This parish was formed in Local Government Act of 1894, when Whitley was united with the nearby settlements of Beanacre and Shaw, which are all primarily residential and agricultural communities. The village is about 2 miles (3.2 km) northwest of Melksham on the B3353 Shaw to Corsham road.
The manor of Whitley was recorded in the 13th century and became a tithing of Melksham parish. The village name means a "white clearing" in a wood. It consists of three settlements, Upper, Middle and Lower Whitley, linked by the Atworth to Lacock road. Whitley House dates from the late seventeenth century. Whitley Farmhouse, Slade's Farmhouse and the Pear Tree Inn all date to the late seventeenth century, and Westlands Farmhouse and Northey's Farmhouse to the early eighteenth. Cottages were added to the village throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, but substantial infill only took place in the twentieth century. Lower Whitley, around Westlands Farm, remains relatively undeveloped.
A Methodist chapel was built in 1828 and replaced by a new building at Top Lane in 1867. As of 2015 this building continues in regular use as Whitley Methodist Church, having been altered and extended in 1985 and 2013. The village has no church but since 1838 has been served by Christ Church at nearby Shaw.
- "Melksham Without". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire County Council. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "Victoria County History - Wiltshire - Vol 7 pp99-121 - Parishes: Melksham". British History Online. University of London. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- Historic England. "Whitley House (1021775)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Whitley Methodist Church". Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- Historic England. "Christ Church, Shaw (1194686)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Historic England. "Pear Tree Inn, Whitley (1364121)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Whitley". Melksham Without Parish Council. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Melksham Without". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
Media related to Whitley, Wiltshire at Wikimedia Commons