Whitney: The Concert for a New South Africa
|Concert by Whitney Houston|
|Venue||Kings Park Stadium
Ellis Park Stadium
Green Point Stadium
|Tour||The Bodyguard World Tour|
|Date(s)||November 8, 1994
November 12, 1994
November 19, 1994
|No. of shows||3|
The Whitney - The Concert for a New South Africa was the title of three concerts which American singer Whitney Houston performed in South Africa to honor President Nelson Mandela and to celebrate a newly unified South Africa in November 1994.
Houston's first ever performances at Kings Park Stadium in Durban on Nov. 8 and final one at Green Point Stadium in Cape Town on Nov. 19, set the stage for her much anticipated HBO televised performance on Nov. 12 at Ellis Park in Johannesburg. These would make her the first major musician to visit the newly unified and apartheid free nation following Mandela's winning election. Houston performed to crowd of over 200,000 people in a special series of South African concerts. The concert satellited live from Johannesburg, was released on VHS in December, 1994. All proceedes from the concerts was donated by Whitney Houston and her foundation to carefully selected South African children's charities including two children's museums, the President's Trust Fund (for the freed Nelson Mandela), the Kagiso Foundation and several orphanages.
- "Love's In Need of Love Today"
- "So Emotional"
- "Saving All My Love for You"
- "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)"
- "How Will I Know"
- Love Song Medley:
- "I Love You"
- "All at Once"
- "Where You Are"
- "Lover for Life"
- "My Name Is Not Susan"
- "Queen of the Night"
- "I Have Nothing"
- "Touch the World" (performed with Cissy Houston and TU NOKWE'S AMAJIKA PERFORMING ARTS choir)
- "Love Is"
- "Amazing Grace"
- "Master Blaster (Jammin')"
- "I Will Always Love You"
- "I'm Every Woman"
- "Greatest Love of All"
- "I'm Every Woman (Reprise)"
- Musical Director: Rickey Minor
- Bass guitar/Bass synthesizer: Rickey Minor
- Guitars: Paul Jackson, Jr.
- Keyboards: Bette Sussman, Wayne Linsey, Joe Wolfe
- Drums: Michael Baker
- Percussions: Bashiri Johnson
- Saxophones/EWI: Kirk Whalum, Gary Bias
- Trumpet: Michael "Patches" Stewart, Oscar Brashear
- Trombone: George Bohanon
- Background Vocalists: Olivia McClurkin, Alfie Silas, Pattie Howard
- Dancers: Carolyn Brown, Merlyn Mitchell, Shane Johnson, Saleema Mubaarak
- Little girls dancers: Fajillah Harper, Vanity Ramdhan, Sylvia Enriquez, Mistey Ramdhan