Whitsunday Coast Airport
Whitsunday Coast Airport
|Owner||Whitsunday Regional Council|
|Operator||Whitsunday Regional Council|
|Location||Proserpine, Queensland, Australia|
|Elevation AMSL||82 ft / 25 m|
Proserpine Airport (IATA: PPP, ICAO: YBPN) (also known as Whitsunday Coast Airport) is located 14 kilometres south of Proserpine in Queensland, Australia. The airport is the main gateway for travelers to and from the Whitsunday Islands with Jetstar Airways and Virgin Australia operating flights to Brisbane.
In the year ending 30 June 2014, the airport handled 282,000 passengers.
Plans to build an airfield in Proserpine commenced in 1936, however construction was delayed due to a lack of funding. Construction of the airport finally began in 1950. The aerodrome was officially opened on Saturday 3 November 1951.
In September 2001, the airport suffered heavily from the collapse of Ansett Australia, who at the time were the biggest operator out of Proserpine with direct services to Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. It also operated seasonal flights to the Gold Coast and Adelaide.
The airport underwent an upgrade in 2010. The upgraded terminal was officially opened on 20 December 2011.
In January 2014, Whitsunday Regional Council announced it was to discuss with the Government of Queensland the process for designating the airport precinct a PDA (Priority Development Area). This would make the future process of extending the runway the relatively short distance required to receive international services easier and to alleviate the industrial land crisis that has been affecting the Whitsunday Region for many years.
On November 29, 2015 it was reported in Queensland State News that Proserpine airport would be offering international charter flights from 2016 through the aviation company AVMIN. The first destination announced is Auckland, New Zealand's largest city.
Airlines and destinations
|Jetstar Airways||Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney|
|Tigerair Australia||Brisbane, Sydney|
- PDF). AIP En Route Supplement from Airservices Australia, effective 25 May 2017, Aeronautical Chart (
- Airport Flight Departures Airport Guide
- Whitsunday Council moves ahead with airport long-term leasing plan, stresses no sale ABC News 23 October 2015
- "UNDER WAY - The Proserpine Guardian (Qld. : 1935 - 1954) - 3 Mar 1950". Trove. Retrieved 2017-01-29.
- "OFFICIAL OPENING - Proserpine's £20,000 'Drome.TAA Service Receives Good Support - The Proserpine Guardian (Qld. : 1935 - 1954) - 9 Nov 1951". Trove. Retrieved 2017-01-29.
- "Whitsunday Coast Airport Upgrade". Queensland Government Department of Employment, Economic Development & Innovation. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- "Council starts airport discussions". APN. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- Airport Transfers Whitsunday Transit
- Media related to Whitsunday Coast Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Dick Smith safety report on Proserpine Tower
- Department of Infrastructure and Planning - Whitsunday Coast Airport terminal upgrade