Whittier Christian High School
|Whittier Christian High School|
|501 N Beach Blvd
La Habra, California 90631
|Religious affiliation(s)||non-denominational Christian|
|Head of school||Carl Martinez|
|Athletics conference||Olympic League|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Association of Christian Schools International|
Whittier Christian High School is a non-profit, non-denominational, Christian high school located in La Habra, California. It was founded in 1958. The high school has recently built a new gymnasium dubbed the Leon Davis Event Center, after the school spirited worker Leon Davis. Whittier Christian is also nicknamed "Dub-C."
Whittier Christian High School opened on September 15, 1958, though planning for the school began only nine months earlier on January 4, 1958. WCHS welcomed forty-four 9th and 10th grade students to the College Avenue Church of the Nazarene facilities. By October 1975, the student body had grown to 380 high school students, and Whittier Christian moved to the Grovedale Elementary campus in East Whittier. In 1979, the school leased the Maybrook campus to serve the freshmen students. It was 1981 when the tenth-twelfth grade students moved to the current campus in La Habra.
Since its founding in 1958 the school has won 102 League Championships. In addition it has 18 CIF Championships:
- Football: 1979, 1983, 1984, 1990, 2010 runners-up
- Baseball: 1987
- Boys Basketball: 1989
- Girls Basketball: 2007, 2008,
- Boys Volleyball: 1991, 1992, 1993
- Girls Volleyball: 2000, 2008 runners-up, 2009, 2012, 2013
- Softball: 2005, 2009, 2010
- Megan Jesolva (Class of 2007), a member of the Atlanta Beat of Women's Professional Soccer (WPS).
- Lauren Maltby (Class of 2002) of Disney's Movie Surfers and Disney Channel Original movies, Zenon.
- Sam Paulescu (Class of 2002), current NFL Punter for the Denver Broncos, Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and San Francisco 49ers.
- Jenna Johnson (Class of 1985), a former competitive swimmer, winner of three medals at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, California.
- Brad Lamm (Class of 1984), Interventionist, Author of How to Help the One You Love: A New Way to Intervene (2010), JUST 10 LBS (2011) and Hand to Mouth (2015), and founder of Breathe Life Healing Centers.
- Tim Minear (Class of 1983) Writer, Director and Producer Television and Film and Executive Producer; American Horror Story.
- Roger Mobley (Class of 1967), former television and motion picture actor, starred in the series Fury and numerous Walt Disney films.
- Rob Liefeld (Class of 1985), artist for Marvel Entertainment. Created Deadpool, Cable, X-Force, Youngblood, Brigade and more.
- Whittier Christian High School Athletics
- Brad Lamm
|This California school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|