Whittington Low Level railway station
|Whittington Low Level|
|Original company||Great Western Railway|
Western Region of British Railways
|14 October 1848||Station opened as "Whittington"|
|1 July 1924||Renamed "Whittington Low Level"|
|12 September 1960||Closed to passengers|
|7 October 1963||Closed completely |
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Whittington Low Level was a minor station on the GWR’s Paddington to Birkenhead main line. Today this is part of the Shrewsbury to Chester Line. An automatic level crossing lies just to the north of the old station site.
Express trains did not call at Whittington Low Level, only local services, though some travelled long distances and most gave good connections to places such as Barmouth, London Paddington and Manchester Exchange.
In 1922 passenger services calling at Whittington Low Level were at their most intensive:
- On Sundays two Down (northbound) trains called:
- On Mondays to Saturdays five Down trains called:
Local goods traffic remained significant until the explosion in road haulage from the 1950s. According to the Official Handbook of Stations the following classes of traffic were being handled at this station in 1956: G, P, F, H & C and there was a one-ton crane.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Rednal and West Felton
Line open, station closed
|Great Western Railway
Shrewsbury to Chester Line
Line and station open
- Bradshaw, George (1985) . July 1922 Railway Guide. Newton Abbott: David & Charles.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Clinker, C.R. (1988) . Clinker's Register of Closed Passenger Stations and Goods Depots in England, Scotland and Wales 1830–1980 (2nd ed.). Bristol: Avon-Anglia Publications & Services. ISBN 978-0-905466-91-0. OCLC 655703233.
- NoAuthor (1956). Official Handbook of Stations. British Transport Commission.
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2010). Shrewsbury to Chester. Middleton Press. figs. 24-26. ISBN 9781906008703. OCLC 495274299.