Whitwell, North Yorkshire
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Cottage at Whitwell
|Whitwell shown within North Yorkshire|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||DL10 6|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Whitwell is a hamlet and civil parish in the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire, England. It is 6.5 miles (10.5 km) north west of the county town of Northallerton At the 2011 Census the population was less than 100. Details are included in the civil parish of Great Langton.
The etymology of the name is derived from a combination of the Old English word hwit, meaning white or infertile and the Anglian suffix of wella, meaning spring or stream. Put together they mean White spring or stream. It has also been known as Nether Whitwell in the Whins.
The manor was part of the fee of the Constables whose manor was at Constable Burton and followed that descent. Around 1240 a mesne lordship was granted to Jollan de Nevill. Other landowners included the Staveley family who claimed land in 1272, though the major landowner were the Whitwell family. At the end of the 17th century, the manor was in the hands of John Belasyse of Worlaby, whose heirs owned a quarter share of the manor thereafter.
The village lies within the Richmond UK Parliament constituency. It also lies within the Swale electoral division of North Yorkshire County Council and the Morton-on-Swale ward of Hambleton District Council.
- Watts (2011). Cambridge Dictionary of English Place-names. Cambridge University Press. p. 676. ISBN 978-0521168557.
- A.D. Mills (1998). Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford Paperbacks. p. 496. ISBN 978-0192800749.
- "History". Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Bulmer's Topography, History and Directory (Private and Commercial) of North Yorkshire 1890. S&N Publishing. 1890. p. 377. ISBN 1-86150-299-0.
- Ordnance Survey Open Viewer
- "Population at Censuses". Vision of Britain. 2009. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
Media related to Whitwell, North Yorkshire at Wikimedia Commons
|This Hambleton, North Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|