Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
"Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf" is a popular song written by Frank Churchill with additional lyrics by Ann Ronell, which originally featured in the 1933 Disney cartoon Three Little Pigs, where it was sung by Fiddler Pig and Fifer Pig (voiced by Mary Moder and Dorothy Compton) as they arrogantly believe their houses of straw and twigs will protect them from the Big Bad Wolf (voiced by Billy Bletcher). The song's theme made it a huge hit during the 1930s and it remains one of the most well-known Disney songs, being covered by numerous artists and musical groups. Additionally, it was the inspiration for the title of Edward Albee's 1963 play Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Re-use by Disney
The song was reused in the sequels to Three Little Pigs, and its writing was re-enacted in the "Cavalcade of Songs" episode on the Disneyland television series in 1955. It featured in the Sing Along Songs video I Love to Laugh and has been included in numerous Disney recordings.
Disneyland Records produced a re-recording of the song in 1958, released concurrently as a single in Disney's "Wonderful Records" series of 45s and on the Mickey Mouse Club LP "Four Disney Stories," conducted by Tutti Camarata. It was a re-enactment of the original cartoon in audio, with noticeable differences being all three pigs voiced by females (unlike the originals, where Practical Pig was voiced by Pinto Colvig), the Big Bad Wolf having a more menacing voice (this time by Sam Edwards), and a few additional verses and dialogue that was not present in the original cartoon. This version was also released on an album in the early 1960s entitled "The Story and Songs of Walt Disney's Three Little Pigs" and a few other compilation albums, and also included on Disney's read-along book-and-audio adaptations of the cartoon.
LL Cool J version
|"Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?"|
|Single by LL Cool J|
|from the album Simply Mad About the Mouse|
|B-side||I Need a Beat
I Can't Live Without My Radio
|Released||July 7, 1991|
|Genre||Golden age hip hop
New jack swing
|Writer(s)||Ann Ronell, Frank Churchill|
|Producer(s)||B. A. Robertson, DJ Eddie F, LL Cool J|
|LL Cool J singles chronology|
"Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?" was covered by American rapper LL Cool J on the Disney album Simply Mad About the Mouse: A Musical Celebration of Imagination. It was released as a single in 1991 for Columbia Records and was produced by DJ Eddie F and LL Cool J. It sampled Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean". LL Cool J's version did not make it to the Billboard charts.
Charlie and his Orchestra recorded a German version in English during World War II with propaganda lyrics.
- "Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf?"- 3:50
- "I Need A Beat"- 4:31
- "I Can't Live Without My Radio"- 5:27
Other cover versions
The song has been covered by many artists, including:
- In 1933 by Harry Reser and his Eskimos with vocal by Loretta Clemens /Perfect Records #15827-A/ Recorded September 26, 1933
- In 1933 by American jazz violinist Ben Bernie.
- In 1933 by American bandleader Don Bestor.
- In 1933 by American composer Victor Young.
- In 1934 by French singer Jean Sablon entitled "Prenez Garde Au Méchant Loup!".
- Duke Ellington, an American pianist and composer.
- Rita Pavone, an Italian rock/ballad singer.
- In 1955 by Jack Pleis (and His Orchestra) on his album Music from Disneyland.
- In 1961 by Pinky and Perky, an animated children's TV series on the 7-inch record Children's Favourites.
- In 1963 by American singer Barbra Streisand on her album The Barbra Streisand Album.
- Chucho Avellanet, an Puerto Rican singer and comedian.
- In 2006 by American R&B boy band B5 on the album DisneyMania 4.
- In 2007 by German musician Max Raabe and his Palast Orchester on the album "Heute Nacht oder nie", and as a regular song on their setlist.
- "WHO S AFRAID OF THE BIG BAD WOLF". ACE Title Search. American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers. Retrieved 2008-10-16.
- "Three Little Pigs (1933)". The Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2008-10-16.
- "Three Little Pigs". Disney Archives. The Walt Disney Company. Retrieved 2008-10-16.
- "LL Cool J's Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf sample of Michael Jackson's Billie Jean". WhoSampled. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Dave Bullock. "PiNkY & PeRkY ; Rare Records for Sale". Pinky & Perky's website. Retrieved 2008-11-09.