Who Cares (Paul McCartney song)
|Single by Paul McCartney|
|from the album Egypt Station|
|Released||17 December 2018|
|Length||3:13 (album version)|
5:33 (full length)
6:21 (video version)
|Producer(s)||Greg Kurstin, McCartney|
|Paul McCartney singles chronology|
"Who Cares" (sometimes credited as "Who Cares? I Do!") is a song by English musician Paul McCartney, released as the third single from Egypt Station on 17 December 2018. The song was previously released as a promo track ahead of the album on September 6, 2018.
Background, composition, and recording
In the 'Words Between Tracks' about writing a song, McCartney said:
"With Who Cares, I was thinking about a song where you actually are talking to the people who may listen to it. And in my case I was imagining young fans, or young people who might hear this, and who are going through some sort of problem where they’re being picked on, being put on. These days it would be internet bullying, trolls and all that. In my school days, it would have just been bullies and people just generally picking on each other. So I know that has happened all over the world to millions of people. So my thing was to kind of try and help, try and help, almost kind-of give some sort of advice. So the song says, you know: "have you ever been fed up with being bullied?" Has this ever happened when people have called you names, have done mean things? Has this ever happened to you? Well, who cares. And then in a twist at the end of that chorus is like "Who cares? I do"."
The song was officially issued on 6 September 2018 with Egypt Station. In December 2018, a short film video was recorded with McCartney and Emma Stone and released as the third single from the album. The video follows a story of a woman played by Stone visiting a psychiatrist played by McCartney.
- Paul McCartney – lead vocals, bass guitar, acoustic guitar
- Paul "Wix" Wickens – farfisa and hammond organ
- Abe Laboriel Jr. – drums, backing vocals
- Rusty Anderson – electric guitar, backing vocals
- Brian Ray – electric guitar, backing vocals
|UK Top 40 (YouTube)||51|
|US LyricFind (Billboard)||8|
|LyricFind Global (Billboard)||9|
- Lukarcanin, Emina (17 December 2018). "Paul McCartney and Emma Stone Stand Up Against Bullying in 'Who Cares' Video: Watch". Billboard. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "The new musical short film 'Who Cares I Do' is now available on Apple Music! Watch and share the film, and tell the people you love "Who cares? I do!"". 17 December 2018. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "Who Cares". 6 September 2018. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "Who Cares - Paul McCartney". 7 September 2018. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Who Cares by Paul McCartney (Music Video)". 17 December 2018. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
|This article about a song by one or more members of the Beatles is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|