Who Needs Enemies? (album)
|Who Needs Enemies?|
|Studio album by Henry Kaiser and Fred Frith|
|Studio||Mobius Music, San Francisco|
|Genre||Experimental music, free improvisation, noise|
|Producer||Henry Kaiser, Fred Frith and Oliver DiCicco|
|Henry Kaiser and Fred Frith chronology|
Who Needs Enemies? is a 1983 studio album of improvised experimental music by Henry Kaiser and Fred Frith. It was recorded in October 1983, and was released on LP by Metalanguage Records later that year. It was Kaiser and Frith's second collaborative album, following on from their first, With Friends Like These in 1979.
In 1987 SST Records released With Enemies Like These, Who Needs Friends?, a CD with five tracks from With Friends Like These, seven tracks from Who Needs Enemies?, and four additional tracks from an unreleased live album by Frith and Kaiser. In 1999 Cuneiform Records released Friends & Enemies, a double-CD containing all the tracks from With Friends Like These and Who Needs Enemies?, plus unreleased live and studio material.
Frith and Kaiser began working together when English avant-rock group Henry Cow, with whom Frith played guitar, lost their bass player. Frith decided to switch to bass guitar and recruited Kaiser to play guitar for the band. While Kaiser never joined the band permanently, he played guitar at several of their European concerts. Frith and Kaiser's work together resulted in a partnership that gave rise to two collaborative albums, With Friends Like These and Who Needs Enemies?, and several concert performances.
|1.||"Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues" (Nehemiah "Skip" James)||3:31|
|2.||"The Golden Eighties"||5:46|
|4.||"The Kirghiz Light"||4:55|
|5.||"Special Rider Blues" (James)||4:31|
|6.||"One of Nature's Mistakes"||2:07|
|10.||"Wool and Water"||4:12|
- Fred Frith – electric and acoustic guitars, 4 and 6 string bass guitars, LinnDrum programming, violin, marimba, piano, Casio 202 organ
- Henry Kaiser – electric and acoustic guitars, 6 string bass guitar, LinnDrum programming, electric sitar, banjo, piano
- Recorded and mixed by Oliver DiCicco at Mobius Music, San Francisco
- Produced by Henry Kaiser, Fred Frith and Oliver DiCicco
- Mastered by Phil Brown
- Photography by Tina Curran
- "Review of Who Needs Enemies?". EAR Magazine. Vol. 9 no. 4. March 1985. p. 25.
- Ramond, Michel; Roussel, Patrice; Vuilleumier, Stephane. "Discography of Fred Frith". New York Downtown Scene and Other Miscellaneous Discographies. Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- Sherman, Lee (September 30, 1983). "Henry Breaks the Rules". Santa Cruz Sentinel . p. 61. Retrieved June 3, 2018 – via Newspapers.com.
- Sherman, Lee (February 10, 1984). "Musical Surprise". Santa Cruz Sentinel . p. 51. Retrieved June 3, 2018 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Henry Cow Chronology". Calyx: The Canterbury Music Website. Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- Anderson, Rick. "Friends & Enemies". AllMusic. Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- Who Needs Enemies? (LP liner notes). Henry Kaiser and Fred Frith. Metalanguage Records. 1983.
- "Henry Kaiser And Fred Frith – Who Needs Enemies?". Discogs. Retrieved June 3, 2018.