Why Did I Get Married Too?
|Why Did I Get Married Too?|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Tyler Perry|
|Produced by||Tyler Perry
|Screenplay by||Tyler Perry|
Louis Gossett, Jr.
Michael Jai White
Richard T. Jones
|Music by||Aaron Zigman|
|Edited by||Maysie Hoy|
Why Did I Get Married Too? is a 2010 American comedy-drama film produced by Lionsgate and Tyler Perry Studios and stars Janet Jackson, Tyler Perry, and Tasha Smith. It is the sequel to Why Did I Get Married? (2007), The film shares the interactions of four couples who undertake a week-long retreat to improve their relationships.
In the Bahamas for their annual reunion, four couples are eager to share news about their lives over the past year. But when one's ex-husband arrives to break up her marriage and win her back, the others realize they are not immune to the challenges of love and fidelity.
- Tyler Perry as Terry Brock
- Janet Jackson as Patricia Agnew
- Jill Scott as Sheila Jackson
- Sharon Leal as Dianne Brock
- Tasha Smith as Angela Williams
- Richard T. Jones as Mike
- Malik Yoba as Gavin Agnew
- Lamman Rucker as Troy Jackson
- Michael Jai White as Marcus Williams
- Louis Gossett, Jr. as Louis Jones
- Cicely Tyson as Ola Karrie
- Valarie Pettiford as Mom
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as Daniel Franklin (uncredited)
A June 5, 2009, report stated that Janet Jackson would reprise her role as Patricia, making her the third confirmed cast member to reprise her role. Due to Michael Jackson's sudden death, film production was halted for a short period of time, after which Jackson returned to continue with the project. On August 6, 2009, Jackson stated that she had finished filming her scenes.
On June 16, 2009, Tyler Perry confirmed that the entire cast from the first film would return for the sequel.
The film received mixed reviews from critics. Based on 43 reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an overall approval rating from critics of 28% with an average score of 4.5/10. By comparison, Metacritic calculated an average score of 44%, based on 12 reviews.
Wesley Morris of The Boston Globe gave the film 2½ out of 4 stars, claiming: "If Perry's cinematic vision remains less than 20/20, his sagacity gets stronger by the movie." Lisa Schwarzbaum of Entertainment Weekly graded the film a D, writing in her review: "It's a contradiction in terms to think of the phenomenally successful, prolific entertainment showman Tyler Perry as lazy, but there's no other description for this particular product: Terribly shot and crudely assembled." Scott Wilson concurred, stating: "Why Did I Get Married Too? lacks the underlying goodwill of some of his better work and plays like a gift wrapped present to his detractors." Wilson graded the movie 1.5/5 stars.
Why Did I Get Married Too? grossed a total of $30.2 million in its opening weekend placing second behind Clash of the Titans. Its opening weekend gross makes it the third highest opening for films created by Tyler Perry. As of June 6, 2010 the movie has grossed over $60 million domestically.
Janet Jackson recorded a song for the Why Did I Get Married Too? soundtrack entitled "Nothing". It served as the soundtrack's lead single. Also, Cameron Rafati's single "Battles" was featured in this film. Norwegian Christel Alsos was also featured with the song "Still". The soundtrack for the film was released on So So Def Recordings with distribution being handled by Malaco Records.
- 2011: Nomination - Outstanding Motion Picture
- 2011: Nomination - Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture - Janet Jackson
- 2011: Nomination - Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture - Jill Scott
- 2011: Nomination - Outstanding Writing for a Motion Picture - Tyler Perry
- "Why Did I Get Married Too? (2010)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- Louis Gossett, Jr. and Jill Scott./movie-news/2891/tyler-perry-and-lionsgate-full-speed-ahead-on-the-cashing-in Article at ReelzChannel Retrieved on May 16, 2009
- Article at Toya's World. Retrieved on June 17, 2009.
- Twitter post @JanetJackson Retrieved on August 18, 2009
- "Why Did I Get Married Too (2010): Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- "Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster, Inc. Archived from the original on March 17, 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- Morris, Wesley (April 3, 2010). "Tyler Perry’s psychological mayhem cuts deep in ‘Married’ sequel". Boston Globe. Globe Newspaper Company. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- Schwarzbaum, Liza (April 2, 2010). "Why Did I Get Married Too?". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- Tyler Perry Moviesat the Box Office - Box Office Mojo
- Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too? (2010) - Box Office Mojo
- http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1632205/20100218/dupri_jermaine.jhtml Archived February 22, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.