Why Not (song)
|Single by Hilary Duff|
|from the album The Lizzie McGuire Movie and Metamorphosis|
|B-side||"I Can't Wait"|
|Released||June 23, 2003|
|Hilary Duff singles chronology|
"Why Not" is the debut single recorded by American actress and singer Hilary Duff for the soundtrack of the 2003 comedy film, The Lizzie McGuire Movie, which was produced and released at the time when Duff was starring as the title character of the Disney comedy series Lizzie McGuire. Its lyrics were written and its music was composed by Charlie Midnight, who collaborated on both with the song's music producer, Matthew Gerrard. The song was included on Duff's debut album Metamorphosis.
Disney International released the single internationally on June 23, 2003. (See 2003 in music.) The CD single release included a remix of "Why Not," a remix of "I Can't Wait" and the music video. Later in 2003, a different version of "Why Not" was released on Duff's first album, Metamorphosis. According to Duff, the song is also included as a single for the album Metamorphosis.
"Why Not" actually has three versions. The main version is the one which Duff originally recorded for the soundtrack of The Lizzie McGuire Movie. The second version has slightly different lyrics in the first verse; Duff released this version as a second single from her album Metamorphosis. The third version is a remixed version of the second version, with a rock arrangement; this version was released on Most Wanted. The re-recorded version is included in the collection of Duff's greatest-hits album, Best of Hilary Duff.
Michelle Branch Comments
Singer Michelle Branch said, in a July 2003 interview with Rolling Stone, that she felt it was, at the time, the worst song she had heard recently. "One lyric stuck in my head: 'You always dress in yellow when you wanna dress in gold,'" she said. "I heard that and I was like, 'Oh, man, what is going on with music these days?' But, hey, whatever floats your boat." In November 2003, Branch apologized for her comments while hosting a radio show for the New York FM station WHTZ-FM, which was also called Z100, then playing one of Duff's songs.
The video (directed by Elliott Lester), which was shot in downtown Los Angeles, first premiered on the Disney Channel in April 2003. The video became the first of Duff's to air on MTV after a viewer requested it on the popular show Total Request Live. The video debuted on the show's countdown at number six a few days later. The video shows Duff singing from a rooftop; this is inter-cut with scenes of street scenes of skipping, break dancing and crowds running, as well as waist shots of extras mouthing the words. Two distinct versions of the video exist; the one includes scenes from The Lizzie McGuire Movie while the other does not.
The single debuted on the Australian ARIA Singles Chart at number forty in week twenty-six of 2003, and it peaked at number fourteen in its twelfth week, remaining on the chart for sixteen weeks. The song also reached the top twenty in New Zealand and the Netherlands. As of July 27, 2014, the song had sold 124,000 digital copies in the United States.
|"Why Not" – Australian maxi single|
|2.||"Why Not" (McMix)||2:52|
|3.||"I Can't Wait" (Dance Mix)||3:06|
|4.||"Why Not" (CD ROM Video)||2:59|
- Duff, Hilary. "LA". HilaryDuff.com. January 27, 2003. Retrieved August 26, 2013. "I finished recording my next single, called 'Why Not,' and it will be in the Lizzie movie. I'm working with my vocal coach every day and we're getting ready to record my album."
- This was from "At Home with Hilary Duff," a featurette on Dignity deluxe edition DVD, released on the Hollywood Records label in 2007.
- Scaggs, Austin. "Michelle Branch Gets Happy". Rolling Stone. June 17, 2003.
- "Michelle Branch Apologizes To Hilary Duff After 'Why Not' Diss". popdirt.com. November 2, 2003. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Hilary Duff - Why Not". aCharts.us.
- "Ask Billboard: How Has Enrique Iglesias' 'Bailando' Become Such A Big Hit?". Billboard. July 27, 2014. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Why Not (Australian CD maxi single liner notes). Hilary Duff. Walt Disney Records. 2003. 021422.
- "Australian-charts.com – Hilary Duff – Why Not". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Hilary Duff" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Hilary Duff – Why Not" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- "Charts.nz – Hilary Duff – Why Not". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- "ARIA Charts – End of Year Charts – Top 100 Singles 2003". ARIA. Retrieved November 24, 2013.