Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!?
|Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!?|
Cover of Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? volume 1 by Kodansha, featuring Kana Kojima
|Genre||Erotic comedy, romantic comedy|
|Magazine||Weekly Young Magazine|
|Original run||2016 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Hiraku Kaneko (Chief)|
|Written by||Yūki Takabayashi |
|Licensed by||Sentai Filmworks (Worldwide rights excluding Asia)|
|Original network||Tokyo MX, BS11, AT-X|
|Original run||April 8, 2019 – present|
|Episodes||12 + OVA|
Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? (なんでここに先生が!? Nande koko ni sensei ga!?) is a Japanese manga series by Soborou. It has been serialized in Kodansha's seinen manga magazine Weekly Young Magazine since 2016, and has been collected in six tankōbon volumes. Every volume features different pairs of female teacher and their male student as they always ended up in an awkward, embarrassing situations. An anime television series adaptation by Tear Studio premiered on April 8, 2019.
High school student Ichiro Sato keeps finding himself in erotic situations with Kana Kojima, a young teacher who has a reputation of being a demon. Later volumes introduce more male students paired with female teachers in embarrassing situations.
- Kana Kojima (児嶋 加奈 Kojima Kana)
- Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka
- The title character is a 23-year-old high school Japanese language teacher at Kawanuma West (川沼西高校) who is known as a demon teacher (鬼の児嶋 oni no kojima) to many students. However, when she is close to Ichirō Satō, she is shy and clumsy, and they end up in a number of erotic situations. It is revealed that she is from the same home town as Sato's mother.Ch. 4 As a high school student, she was shy and wore glasses, but was encouraged by Sato to become a teacher.Ch. 7 Starting in volume 2, she and Sato are a couple.Ch. 11 A bonus chapter in Volume 1 shows that she visits him often while he is in college.Ch. 10.5
- Mayu Matsukaze (松風 真由 Matsukaze Mayu)
- Voiced by: Yūko Gotō
- Kawanuma West art teacher and student council adviser. She is a petite woman who styles her hair in braids and has a busty chest. She is well-liked by the students who call her "Lady Matsukaze" (聖母松風 Seibo Matsukaze) as she is kind and gentle.Vol. 2 Like Kojima, she becomes really clumsy and air-headed when she's around the guy she likes, which would be Rin Suzuki, who helped her in the past when she was trying to get to her teacher certification exam on time.Vol. 2
- Hikari Hazakura (葉桜 ひかり Hazakura Hikari)
- Voiced by: Shizuka Ishigami
- A physical education teacher from Kawanuma East (川沼東高校). She is mischievous and free-spirited, and is liked by her students. She advises the student council and coaches the swim team. She acts very casual around Takashi.Vol. 3
- Chizuru Tachibana (立花 千鶴 Tachibana Chizuru)
- Voiced by: Nozomi Yamamoto
- The Kawanuma East school nurse. She has light grey hair. Her nickname is Absolute Zero Tachibana (絶対零度の立花 zettaireido no Tachibana) for her cold and expressionless attitude towards the students. Initially wanting to relate better with students in general, she takes a liking to Ko Tanaka, and has no issue with changing her clothes in front of him. She eventually accepts his confession after he graduates.Vol. 4
- Fransesca Homura (ホムラ・フランチェスカ Homura Furanchesuka)
- A new assistant language teacher at Kawanuma West. She is 16 years old and a former schoolmate of Saya and Yorito. She had skipped a few grades, studied aboard and graduated from university, and returned to Japan. She likes Yorito and hopes to win his affections.Vol. 5
- Ichiro Sato (佐藤一 郎 Satō Ichirō)
- Voiced by: Ryōta Suzuki
- A Kawanuma West High School student of 18 years in his third year who continues to find himself involved in embarrassing situations with his teacher Kana Kojima. He is a good student who is ready to graduate and move on to university.Vol. 1 In Volume 2, he reveals to his friend Rin Suzuki that he and Kana are dating.Vol. 2 In the Volume 1 bonus chapter, he is a university student who is frequently visited by Kana.Vol. 1
- Rin Suzuki (鈴木 凛 Suzuki Rin)
- Voiced by: Toshiki Masuda
- A second-year student at Kawanuma West. He has a scary appearance because of his size and his eyes, but has been a friend of Satō since junior high. Satō asks Rin to try to make new friends since he is graduating and spending more time with Kana. Rin struggles in that aspect, but more often than not, he finds himself in embarrassing situations with teacher Mayu Matsukaze.Vol. 2
- Saya Matsukaze (松風 さや Matsukaze Saya)
- Voiced by: Yuka Ōtsubo
- Mayu's younger sister, a high school student at Kawanuma West and the student council treasurer. She wears glasses, and is more sensible than her air-headed sister.Vol. 2-4 She later becomes the student council president.Vol. 5
- Takashi Takahashi (高橋 隆 Takahashi Takashi)
- Voiced by: Kazutomi Yamamoto
- A first-year student at Kawanuma East and the student council treasurer. He is a neighbor to Hazakura-sensei, whom he calls Hika, but is always being treated like a kid by her.Vol. 3
- Ko Tanaka (田中 甲 Tanaka Kō)
- Voiced by: Yūsuke Kobayashi
- A third-year student at Kawanuma East, and friend of Sato and Suzuki from junior high. He was a student council president. Three months prior to graduating, he vows to get a girlfriend, but ends up in embarrassing situations with Tachibana.Vol. 4
- Yorito Ito (伊藤 依人 Itō Yorito)
- A first-year student at Kawanuma West when Saya becomes a third-year. He has a crush on Saya, but more often than not, finds himself in embarrassing situations with Francesca Homura.Vol. 5
- Yamurino (ヤムリノ)
- A mod[clarification needed] of the university Internet library system. He was a student with a low grade but get this job thanks to the director of the university. He is in love with two of the teachers.Vol. 6
Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? is a manga series written and illustrated by Soborou. The series was initially published in Kodansha's Weekly Young Magazine as a series of one-shots under the title Golden Times. It began serialization in the same magazine in 2016. Six tankōbon volumes of the manga have been released to date.
|No.||Japanese release date||Japanese ISBN|
|1||January 6, 2017||ISBN 978-4-06-382904-4|
|High school student Ichiro Sato keeps finding himself in erotic situations with Kana Kojima, a young teacher who has a reputation of being a demon. They are locked in a bathroom stall and Kana has to pee. When Ichiro excuses himself to the infirmary, he finds Kana there with a high fever and is forced to give her a suppository. Kana accidentally ends up in the men's baths, so Ichiro pretends that she is a sex doll to fool his classmates. Kana visits Ichiro's mother and takes care of Ichiro's baby sister. Ichiro and Kana get stuck in a laundromat when the power goes out. Ichiro tries to retrieve a love letter message but finds himself stuck with Kana who is trying to discreetly borrow a book about how to be more social. When Ichiro helps Kana unpack in her apartment, they come across a photo of when Kana was a shy student and was befriended by Ichiro. Ichiro's mother gets Kana drunk so she can be uninhibited and make a move on Ichiro. Kana is dressed as a mummy in the school festival haunted house, but is stuck with Ichiro when she has a wardrobe malfunction. Kana and Ichiro are on a beach when Kana gets bitten near her crotch by a sea snake. The bonus chapter has Ichiro at university and Kana visiting to ask him about sex ed.|
|2||September 6, 2017||ISBN 978-4-06-510150-6|
|Now that Ichiro is with Kana, Rin Suzuki is left to try to make new friends, but he ends up in embarrassing and erotic situations with Mayu Matsuzaki, a kind but clumsy teacher. Situations include falling into a pond, getting her clothes stuck in a train door, getting tangled with a bicycle. Ichiro and Kana are stuck together in a pipe. More erotic situations occur when Rin and Mayu walk home with Rin's kid siblings and a fast food meal toy falls into her blouse. At a water park, Mayu gets entangled in an inflatable ring. At the school's communications room, they get entangled in cables while Mayu's sister Saya overhears them. While Rin visits Mayu's place to tutor Saya, Mayu takes a bath but Rin accidentally walks in and then tries to hide her when Saya comes. When Rin gets an art lesson from Mayu and Saya volunteers to model, Mayu's breasts get stuck in Rin's art easel. Mayu recalls meeting Rin for the first time three years ago when she was trying to get to her teacher exam. Bonus chapters feature Kana playing with a love egg but inadvertently leaving the video chat with Ichiro on, and Rin trying to hide Mayu and Saya in a mixed bath.|
|3||January 5, 2018||ISBN 978-4-06-510804-8|
|At Kananuma East, student Takashi Takahashi keeps finding himself in erotic situations with physical education teacher and childhood friend Hikari Hazakura. Hika pulls Taka into her bed at the infirmary. Later they fall into each other in the PE equipment room. Hika takes Taka shopping at a lingerie store. Rin and Mayu must share a bed for the night while Hika tries to spy on them, but Hika accidentally falls on Taka. When Taka collapses on a mountain hike, Hika recalls an incident when they were younger. Taka and Hika must recover their clothes after she accidentally drops them outside a school window. Hika accidentally burns her bottom, and has Taka try to cool it down. At the school festival, Hika slaps Mayu with handcuffs, leaving Rin and Mayu to recover the key. When Hika accidentally falls through the floor and gets stuck, Taka must try to push her out. The bonus chapters have Mayu and Saya comparing their bodies, and Taka trying to fit Hika into a tight swimsuit.|
|4||May 7, 2018||ISBN 978-4-06-511380-6|
|Ko Tanaka is a senior who vows to get a girlfriend before he graduates, but ends up in erotic situations with the cool beauty school nurse Chizuru Tachibana. Chizuru changes clothes in front of him several times which often results in them falling into each other. She goes to Ko's place dressed in a Santa outfit. For New Year's she wants to tie a fortune to a tree branch, but falls into Ko. On an island trip together, they have more falls, and also during an alumni video interview. At school in the winter snow, they try to stay warm by a heater. After graduation, the teachers and students have a party at Ko's house, but when Chizuru needs to change her clothes, she gets tangled in fishing line. The bonus chapter has Ko and Chizuru going to a love hotel.|
|5||October 5, 2018||ISBN 978-4-06-513157-2|
|Yorito Ito joins Kawanuma West where he hopes to win the affections of Saya who is now student council president, but they discover that Francesca Homura, their mutual friend, has come back to Japan as an assistant teacher. Yori ends up in multiple erotic situations including when they are hiding under the stairs or slipping in the bathtub. Saya and Yori help Francesca come up with better teaching strategies, but Francesca falls asleep early and snuggles up to and disrobes Yori while asleep. As a birthday gift, Yori agrees to listen to Francesca's wishes for the day, and they go exploring in the woods, but a warning about bears in the area causes Francesca to fall down a slope. When Yori arrives they have to stick together when they suspect a bear is nearby.|
|6||March 6, 2019||ISBN 978-4-06-514807-5|
An anime television series adaptation was announced in the 44th issue of Weekly Young Magazine on October 1, 2018. The series is directed by Toshikatsu Tokoro and animated by Tear Studio. Character designs for the series are done by Kazuhiko Tamura. Yūki Takabayashi and Yuri Fujimaru are handling series composition, while Hiraku Kaneko is serving as chief director and Gin is composing the music. The series premiered on April 8, 2019 on Tokyo MX and BS11.[a] Sumire Uesaka performs the series' opening theme song "Bon Kyu— Bon wa Kare no Mono" (ボン♡キュッ♡ボンは彼のモノ♡). The series' ending theme is "Ringo-iro Memories" (りんご色メモリーズ), with Uesaka, Yūko Gotō, Shizuka Ishigami, and Nozomi Yamamoto each performing a version as their respective characters. Sentai Filmworks licensed the series for worldwide regions, excluding Asia. The series will run for 12 episodes. An unaired episode will be included in the anime's Blu-Ray box, which will be released on December 11, 2019.
|Screenplay||Storyboard||Original air date |
Transcription: "Gōrudentaimuzu / Ase shiri izumi" (Japanese: ゴールデンタイムズ / 汗尻泉)
|Kazuhiko Tamura||Yuuki Takabayashi||Tokoro Toshikatsu||April 8, 2019|
|High school student Ichiro Sato keeps finding himself in erotic situations with Kana Kojima, a young teacher who has a reputation of being a demon. They are locked in a bathroom stall and Kana has to pee. When Ichiro excuses himself to the infirmary, he finds Kana there with a high fever and is forced to give her a suppository.|
Transcription: "Amayadori/ fūrin-jiru" (Japanese: 雨宿り / 風梨汁)
|Kazuhiko Tamura, Toshimitsu Kobayashi, Yuichiro Miyake||Akira Fujimaru||Tokoro Toshikatsu||April 15, 2019|
|Ichiro and Kana get stuck in a laundromat when the power goes out. Kana visits Ichiro's mother and takes care of Ichiro's baby sister.|
Transcription: "Yoi dore/ otonage" (Japanese: よいどれ / 大人げ)
|Iwasaki Minoru, Onogi Sansei, Many Sonoda, Yuichiro Miyake||Akira Fujimaru||Makoto Tanaka||April 22, 2019|
|When Ichiro helps Kana unpack in her apartment, they come across a photo of when Kana was a shy student and was befriended by Ichiro. Ichiro's mother gets Kana drunk so she can be uninhibited and make a move on Ichiro.|
Transcription: "Yakusoku" (Japanese: 約束)
|Matsushita Kiyoshi Yuichiro Miyake Akira Otsuka||Yuuki Takabayashi||Makoto Tanaka||April 29, 2019|
|Kana and Ichiro take Ichiro's little sister to the beach.|
Transcription: "Seibo in / ma n ◯ n densha" (Japanese: 聖母in / まん◯ん電車)
|Wang Weifeng, Takeshi Kushita, Akira Otsuka||Akira Fujimaru||Tokoro Toshikatsu||May 6, 2019|
|Now that Ichiro is with Kana, Rin Suzuki is left to try to make new friends, but he ends up in embarrassing and erotic situations with Mayu Matsuzaki, a kind but clumsy teacher. Situations include falling into a pond during lunch time, and getting her clothes stuck in a train door.|
Transcription: "Uki uki DAY/ pigi ~i bakku" (Japanese: ウキ雨季DAY / ぴぎぃバック)
|Akira Otsuka, Yuki Kitajima, Yuichiro Miyake, Hayakawa Naomi||Akira Fujimaru||Fujishiro Kazuya||May 13, 2019|
|7||"Seventh Period"||TBA||TBA||TBA||May 20, 2019|
Anime News Network reviewers had mixed reviews about the anime show. James Beckett wrote, "This isn't a 'good' show, but God help me, I chuckled a little at just how unashamed it was." Lynzee Loveridge wrote that "it's edited porn airing on a Japanese satellite station." Nick Creamer wrote that the episode "definitely knows how to set up a sexually charged scene, and even has the production values to make its characters look genuinely attractive." Theron Martin wrote "If you find suppositories and someone holding in pee to be sexy then you might like this one, but it's definitely aimed only at a certain kind of kink."
- Tokyo MX listed the show at 25:05 on April 7, 2019, which is at 1:05 am on April 8, 2019.
- ^ "Ch." is shortened form for chapter and refers to a chapter number of the Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? manga
- "Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!? Manga Gets TV Anime". Anime News Network. September 30, 2018. Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- "Sentai Filmworks Lands "Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!?"". Sentai Filmworks. Retrieved March 30, 2019.
- "Why the hell are you here, Teacher!? TV Anime Reveals Cast, Staff, Visual". Anime News Network. September 30, 2018. Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- "TVアニメ「なんでここに先生が!?」公式サイト". Nankoko anime official website (in Japanese). Select "Character" and then select the character's picture. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- "'Why the hell are you here, Teacher!?' Anime Reveals New Visual, 2 More Cast Members". Anime News Network. December 21, 2018.
- "'Why the hell are you here, Teacher!?' Anime Unveils Additional Cast & Staff, Opening Song Artist". Anime News Network. February 10, 2019. Retrieved February 10, 2019.
- "なんでここに先生が！？（６）". Kodansha (in Japanese). Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- "なんでここに先生が！？". Kodansha (in Japanese). Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- "なんでここに先生が！？（２）". Kodansha (in Japanese). Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- "なんでここに先生が！？（３）". Kodansha (in Japanese). Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- "なんでここに先生が！？（４）". Kodansha (in Japanese). Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- "なんでここに先生が！？（５）". Kodansha (in Japanese). Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- "'Why the hell are you here, Teacher!?' Anime's 2nd Promo Video Reveals April 7 Premiere". Anime News Network. March 8, 2019. Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- "TVアニメ「なんでここに先生が!?」公式サイト" (in Japanese). Retrieved April 8, 2019.
- "Sentai Filmworks Lands "Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!?"". Sentai Filmworks. March 30, 2019. Retrieved March 30, 2019.
- "'Why the hell are you here, Teacher!?' Anime's Blu-ray Box to Include Unaired Episode". Anime News Network. April 6, 2019. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- "なんでここに先生が!?". Tokyo MX (in Japanese). Retrieved April 7, 2019.
- "The Spring 2019 Anime Preview Guide - Short Anime Roundup". Anime News Network. April 12, 2019. Retrieved April 22, 2019.