Wichita Falls Municipal Airport
|Wichita Falls Regional Airport
Sheppard Air Force Base
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Owner||U.S. Air Force|
|Operator||City of Wichita Falls|
|Location||Wichita Falls, Texas|
|Elevation AMSL||1,019 ft / 311 m|
Wichita Falls Regional Airport (IATA: SPS, ICAO: KSPS, FAA LID: SPS) is a public and military use airport located 5 nautical miles (9.3 km; 5.8 mi) north of the central business district of Wichita Falls, a city in Wichita County, Texas, United States. The airport is joint use in that its runways and taxiways are shared with Sheppard Air Force Base. It is mostly used for military aviation due to the air force base located on site, but is also served by American Eagle with service to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport.
This airport is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a primary commercial service airport. As per Federal Aviation Administration records, the airport had 47,191 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 43,952 enplanements in 2009, and 44,296 in 2010.
Facilities and aircraft
- 15R/33L is 13,100 by 300 feet (3,993 x 91 m) with a concrete surface;
- 15C/33C is 10,002 by 150 feet (3,049 x 46 m) with an asphalt/concrete surface;
- 15L/33R is 6,000 by 150 feet (1,829 x 46 m) with an asphalt/concrete surface;
- 17/35 is 7,021 by 150 feet (2,140 x 46 m) with an asphalt surface.
For the 12-month period ending June 30, 2012, the airport had 105,028 aircraft operations, an average of 287 per day: 93% military, 5% general aviation, and 2% scheduled commercial. At that time there were 219 aircraft based at this airport: 91% military, 6% single-engine, 2% multi-engine, and 1% jet.
Airlines and destinations
|American Eagle||Dallas/Fort Worth|
- FAA Airport Master Record for SPS ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (SPS: Wichita Falls / Sheppard AFB)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). faa.gov. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). faa.gov. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). faa.gov. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011.
- Wichita Falls Regional Airport
- Wichita Falls Regional (SPS) at Texas DOT airport directory
- Aerial image as of January 1995 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective June 22, 2017
- FAA Terminal Procedures for SPS, effective June 22, 2017
- Resources for this airport: