Wickham, New South Wales
Newcastle, New South Wales
|Population||1,079 (2016 census)|
|• Density||1,540/km2 (3,990/sq mi)|
|Area||0.7 km2 (0.3 sq mi)|
|Location||3 km (2 mi) WNW of Newcastle|
|LGA(s)||City of Newcastle|
Wickham which was a Misspelling of Whickham, a suburb of Newcastle upon Tyne in the north of England. Means village by the creek. Wickham was proclaimed a Municipality in the NSW Government Gazette, 27 February 1871, largely by the efforts of James Hannell, who became Wickham's first mayor.
Wickham railway station was served by NSW TrainLink's Central Coast & Newcastle Line and Hunter Line. The railway line is part of the Newcastle-Maitland line, the first section of the Main North line from Sydney to the New England region, opened in 1857. It closed on 25 December 2014, when the Newcastle line was truncated to Hamilton to allow construction of the Newcastle Light Rail line. Newcastle Interchange opened on 15 October 2017. It connects with the Newcastle Light Rail.
Wickham is a well represented in the Newcastle cricket competitions. The local district team is known as the HamWicks (a combination of the suburbs Hamilton and Wickham).
Two rugby union clubs are also based in Wickham; Hamilton Hawks and Newcastle Griffins. Hamilton Hawks is one of the largest clubs in the Newcastle Premier Rugby competition fielding men's, women's and junior teams. Newcastle Griffins emerged from the former Tech College and Port Hunter clubs and fields a team in the NHRU Divisional competition.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Wickham (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- Council History
- Australian Dictionary of Biography (Online Edition)
- "Newcastle Branch". www.nswrail.net. Retrieved 23 November 2006.
- Last train leaves Newcastle station Newcastle Herald 26 December 2014
- Timetable changes Central Coast & Newcastle Line and Hunter Line Transport for New South Wales 1 October 2017
- Wickham Transport Interchange Transport for NSW July 2014
- Revitalisation of Newcastle CBD continues as Wickham interchange gets the green light Transport for NSW 14 November 2014