Wickham, New South Wales
Newcastle, New South Wales
|Population||952 (2011 census)|
|• Density||1,360/km2 (3,520/sq mi)|
|Area||0.7 km2 (0.3 sq mi)|
|Location||3 km (2 mi) WNW of Newcastle|
|LGA(s)||City of Newcastle|
Wickham which was a Misspelling of Whickham, a suburb of Newcastle upon Tyne in the north of England. Means village by the creek. Wickham was proclaimed a Municipality in the NSW Government Gazette, 27 February 1871, largely by the efforts of James Hannell, who became Wickham's first mayor.
Wickham railway station was served by NSW TrainLink's Central Coast & Newcastle Line and Hunter Line. The railway line is part of the Newcastle-Maitland line, the first section of the Main North line from Sydney to the New England region, opened in 1857. It closed on 25 December 2014, when the Newcastle line was truncated to Hamilton to allow construction of the Newcastle Light Rail line. Newcastle Interchange isl being built to connect with the Newcastle Light Rail. Pending the building of the new interchange and light rail Wickham is served by Newcastle Buses & Ferries route 110 between Hamilton and Newcastle stations via Wickham and Civic replacing the railway service - train fares apply if transferring to or from a train.
Wickham is a well represented in the Newcastle cricket competitions. The local district team is known as the HamWicks (a combination of the suburbs Hamilton and Wickham).
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Wickham (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- Council History
- Australian Dictionary of Biography (Online Edition)
- "Newcastle Branch". www.nswrail.net. Retrieved 23 November 2006.
- Last train leaves Newcastle station Newcastle Herald 26 December 2014
- Wickham Transport Interchange Transport for NSW July 2014
- Revitalisation of Newcastle CBD continues as Wickham interchange gets the green light Transport for NSW 14 November 2014
- Upcoming transport changes in Newcastle Transport Info NSW 8 December 2014.