Wide Sargasso Sea (1993 film)
|Wide Sargasso Sea|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||John Duigan|
|Produced by||Jan Sharp|
|Written by||John Duigan
(based on the novel by Jean Rhys)
|Music by||Stewart Copeland|
|Edited by||Anne Goursaud
|Distributed by||New Line Cinema|
|16 April 1993(US)|
For a full-length summary see: plot summary of Wide Sargasso Sea.
Fine Line Features released the film for the United States market. The film was given a restrictive NC-17 rating due to its sexual content. Fine Line opted not to pursue a less restrictive, more marketable R rating.
Cast and roles
- Karina Lombard - Antoinette Cosway
- Nathaniel Parker - Edward Rochester
- Rachel Ward - Annette Cosway
- Michael York - Paul Mason
- Martine Beswick - Aunt Cora
- Claudia Robinson - Christophene
- Huw Christie Williams - Richard Mason
- Casey Berna - Young Antoinette
- Rowena King - Amelie
- Ben Thomas - Daniel Cosway
- Naomi Watts - Fanny Grey
John Duigan did not enjoy the experience of making the film:
It was probably the only really unsatisfying interaction that I've had with a production company and I found that I had major disagreements with them and with the producers. It was unfortunate. Jan Sharp, the producer of the film, had the tenacity to get the film made, but she and I had differences of opinion. She was very well informed on the book, and I'm sure her opinions were arguable, as I like to think mine were, but when you have a situation like that, I think the overall project can suffer. I think the film did suffer from that division.
Wide Sargasso Sea grossed $45,806 at the box office in Australia.
- Grimes, William (30 November 1992). "Reviewing the NC-17 Film Rating: Clear Guide or an X by a New Name?". The New York Times. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- "Interview with John Duigan", Signet, 28 April 1994 and 17 May 1997 accessed 18 November 2012
- Film Victoria - Australian Films at the Australian Box Office
- Wide Sargasso Sea at the Internet Movie Database
- Wide Sargasso Sea at Rotten Tomatoes
- Review at JaneEyre.net
|This article related to an Australian film of the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1990s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|