|Developer(s)||The Widelands Development Team|
|Written in||SDL-based custom engine|
|Platform||AmigaOS 4, Linux, BSD, Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Single-player, multiplayer, real-time strategy|
Widelands is a free and open-source, slow-paced real-time strategy video game under the GNU General Public License. Widelands takes many ideas from and is quite similar to The Settlers and The Settlers II. It remains a work-in-progress game, with development still required in graphics and bug-fixing. The game runs on several operating systems such as AmigaOS 4, Linux, BSD, Mac OS X, and Windows.
Widelands has single-player, local network and internet multiplayer modes, single-player campaign missions, and an internationalisation system with translations for British English, Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Low German, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Scottish Gaelic, Slovak, Spanish, and Swedish. Players may select one of four different tribes: the human-like "Empire", the "Barbarians", the "Atlanteans", and the "Frisians".
The game provides four basic tutorials and four tutorial campaigns. Advanced players can create their own maps with the included map editor. It is also possible to import and play original Settlers II maps.
The game was reviewed by Linux Journal which noted:
Delve into this game, and there's much that lies beneath the surface. It has simple things that please, like how the in-game menus are very sophisticated and solid, with none of the bugginess you get in many amateur games. But, it's the complete reversal of hyperspeed in its gameplay that I really love. I always want to get back to building my base when playing most RTS games, but I'm constantly drawn away by fire fights. This game lets you keep building, and places serious emphasis on how you do it.
The French free software website Framasoft remarked:
This 2d game with a top-down view is a classic RTS remake, with simple graphics, although functional and efficient. We quickly found the happiness of the old Settlers series with the management of different sized sites, the positioning of the roads which bring resources and advancing your zone of influence with different military buildings.
- About Widelands Widelands Wiki[dead link]
- Widelands release announcement for Build 20
- "Widelands". Retrieved March 9, 2012.
- "Widelands appdata". GitHub. Retrieved 15 June 2021.
- "Widelands 1.0 Released". widelands.org. Retrieved 15 June 2021.
- Knight, John (May 1, 2009). "New Projects - Fresh from the Labs". linuxjournal.com.
- Erik Bärwaldt (April 2008). "Strategiespiel Widelands". LinuxUser.
- "Artikel aus c't 4/08, S.152, zu Widelands Build 11". heise online. April 2008.
- "Widelands - Stratégie - Logiciels Libres -" (in French). Framasoft. April 27, 2008. Archived from the original on 2009-01-07. Retrieved March 18, 2016.
- Linux Format 135 September 2010 page 71