Wigan Urban Area
The Wigan Urban Area is an area of land defined by the Office for National Statistics consisting of the built-up, or 'urbanised' area containing Wigan in Greater Manchester and Skelmersdale in West Lancashire.
The Urban Area includes the integrated conurbation around Wigan, (containing the contiguous areas of Ince-in-Makerfield and Wigan itself), along with the outlying areas of Standish, Abram and the West Lancashire town of Skelmersdale.
The historic town of Wigan forms an integrated conurbation along with the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan district of Ince-in-Makerfield, this is connected by ribbon development to Standish, Platt Bridge and Abram. These areas, together with Skelmersdale in West Lancashire, are defined by the Office for National Statistics as the Wigan Urban Area.
The ONS figures were broken down into constituent parts, and an individual population figure given for each. These were:
|Rank (2011)||Urban sub-area name||2011 ||2001||1991||1981|
|4||Ince in Makerfield||12,243||10,941||10,554||11,013|
- Orrell is included under the Wigan subdivision in the 2011 census data.
- The Abram subdivision was renamed Platt Bridge in the 2011 census.
- The Worthington subdivision was part of the Standish subdivision in the 2001 census.
- "2011 Census - Built-up areas". ONS. Retrieved 1 July 2013.
- "Census 2001 Key Statistics - Urban area results by population size of urban area". ons.gov.uk. Office for National Statistics. 22 July 2004. KS01 Usual resident population .
- "Census 2001 Key Statistics - Urban area results by population size of urban area". ons.gov.uk. Office for National Statistics. 22 July 2004. KS01 Usual resident population . Retrieved 7 December 2008.
- "1991 Key Statistics for Urban Areas". Office for National Statistics. 1991.
- "1981 Key Statistics for Urban Areas: The North Table 1". Office for National Statistics. 1981.