|Town of Wiggins, Colorado|
The Wiggins Municipal Building.
Location of Wiggins in Morgan County, Colorado.
|Incorporated||October 11, 1974|
|Named for||Oliver P. Wiggins|
|• Type||Statutory Town|
|• Total||1.33 sq mi (3.45 km2)|
|• Land||1.33 sq mi (3.44 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
|Elevation||4,557 ft (1,389 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||886|
|• Density||668.17/sq mi (257.89/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0204698|
The community was established in 1882 as the Burlington railroad depot of Corona. Around 1900, Corona was renamed in honor of Oliver P. Wiggins, who served as a guide and scout for Captain John C. Frémont, on some of his explorations through northern Colorado in the 1840s. He also accompanied Kit Carson for 12 years on his expeditions. Technically, there is still a portion of the town which is Corona. It is the north side of the railroad tracks. The part to the east was named after Oliver P. Wiggins, and that is Wiggins. The whole town was never officially renamed.
As of the census of 2000, there were 838 people, 265 households, and 210 families residing in the town. The population density was 938.4 people per square mile (363.5/km²). There were 279 housing units at an average density of 312.4 per square mile (121.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 82.10% White, 1.19% African American, 2.27% Native American, 12.89% from other races, and 1.55% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 25.06% of the population.
There were 265 households out of which 46.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.6% were married couples living together, 10.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.4% were non-families. 17.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.16 and the average family size was 3.52.
The age of the town's population is spread out with 37.0% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 28.0% from 25 to 44, 19.6% from 45 to 64, and 7.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 100.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $33,438, and the median income for a family was $34,219. Males had a median income of $26,296 versus $20,833 for females. The per capita income for the town was $11,827. About 15.0% of families and 14.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.1% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
Wiggins is home to the Wiggins RE-50J school district. The district includes Wiggins Elementary School, Wiggins Middle School and Wiggins High School.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. 2004-12-01. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 25, 2017.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- Dawson, John Frank. Place names in Colorado: why 700 communities were so named, 150 of Spanish or Indian origin. Denver, CO: The J. Frank Dawson Publishing Co. p. 52.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.