Road intersection in Wighton (photo by Ron Strutt, 1999)
Wighton shown within Norfolk
|Area||11.93 km2 (4.61 sq mi)|
|– density||19/km2 (49/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
Wighton is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. The village is situated some 6 km (3.7 mi) south of the town of Wells-next-the-Sea, 12 km (7.5 mi) north of the town of Fakenham, and 45 km (28 mi) north-west of the city of Norwich. The medieval pilgrimage centre of Walsingham lies 3 km (1.9 mi) to the south.
The civil parish has an area of 11.93 km2 (4.61 sq mi) and in the 2001 census had a population of 203 in 92 households, the population increasing to 222 at the 2011 Census. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of North Norfolk.
The village was used as the location shooting for "Little Bazeley by the sea" in the 1965 "Avengers" episode entitled "The town of no return" with intrepid agents Patrick Macnee (John Steed) and Diana Rigg (Emma Peel.)
- Sienna Guillory, actress, whose mother still runs a country clothing business from a Wighton farmhouse.
Michael Beard, 'interesting' local character with a penchant for scrap dealing and collecting-esp. trucks/cars
- Ordnance Survey (2002). OS Explorer Map 251 - Norfolk Coast Central. ISBN 0-319-21887-2.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- Office for National Statistics & Norfolk County Council (2001). Census population and household counts for unparished urban areas and all parishes. Retrieved December 2, 2005.
- Jonathan Neville (2006). "Wighton Mill". Norfolk Mills. Retrieved 2006-04-15.
- About the Carrier Company at its web site, carriercompany.co.uk (accessed 1 November 2007)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wighton.|
|This Norfolk location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|