Wike, West Yorkshire
Wike is a hamlet and (as Wyke) a former civil parish, now in the parish of Harewood, north of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It is in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough and is north of Shadwell and Roundhay, west of Scarcroft and south of East Keswick. Many residents use facilities in Leeds as well as in the nearby town of Wetherby. In 1931 the parish had a population of 88.
Wike is one of the few villages in Leeds not to be served by a public bus service: the last service 923, operated by Utopia, was rerouted in early 2003.
Wike is in the Harewood ward of the Leeds Metropolitan Council and is home to a local Scout and Guide 'back-to-basics' campsite operated by North Leeds District Scout Council, as well as several golf courses including Leeds Golf Centre, which is home to Wike Ridge Golf Course, an 18-hole USGA-standard course, The Oaks, a par 3 course and a footgolf pitch. Also provided is a driving range with Toptracer technology. The golf course has a David Leadbetter teaching academy for all abilities.
A notable building which dates from 1726 has a nameplate "The Old Schoolhouse" on School Lane. Funded by Lady Elizabeth Hastings. It was a school Monday to Friday, a church on Sunday, and could be used for meetings until at least 1991. On Fridays the children would put their books away in cupboards, and arrange the desks to make pews for the church, rearranging on Monday. There is also the School Cottage, a one-bedroom bungalow for the teacher. The Schoolhouse has been extended to make a large detached house.
- "Population statistics Wyke Tn/CP through time". A Vision of Britain through Time. Retrieved 16 January 2022.
- "Wike Campsite". North Leeds Scout District. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- South and West Yorkshire Federations of Women's Institutes (1991). The South and West Yorkshire Village Book. Newbury: Countryside Books. p. 241. ISBN 1 85306 136 0.
- Historic England. "Wike Manor (1227563)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 24 January 2019.
- Historic England. "Guide Post 20 Metres East of Island Cottage (1225854)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 7 December 2019.
- "History of Wyke, in Leeds and West Riding". A Vision of Britain through Time. Retrieved 16 January 2022.
- "Relationships and changes Wyke Tn/CP through time". A Vision of Britain through Time. Retrieved 16 January 2022.
- The ancient parish of Bardsey: historical and genealogical information at GENUKI. (Wike is described as being in the parishes of Bardsey and Harewood)
- The ancient parish of Harewood: historical and genealogical information at GENUKI. (Wike is described as being in the parishes of Bardsey and Harewood)
- for Wike, West Yorkshire