Wiki Education Foundation
Chair, Board of Directors:
The Wiki Education Foundation (sometimes abbreviated Wiki Ed) is a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco, California. It runs the Wikipedia Education Program, which promotes the integration of Wikipedia into coursework by educators in Canada and the United States.
The Wikipedia Education Program was started by the Wikimedia Foundation in 2010. The Wiki Education Foundation incorporated in 2013, a process that the Wikimedia Foundation began in 2012 to give the education program "more focused and specialized support" and to "develop additional programs to promote academic research and teaching that engage with Wikipedia". It has been granted 501(c)(3) charity status.
In February 2014, the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) and Wiki Education Foundation announced the hiring of Frank Schulenburg, who had formerly served as senior director of programs at WMF, as the organization's first executive director. In April 2014, Schulenburg represented Wiki Ed at the World Literacy Summit in Oxford. The conference aims to make global improvements to literacy.
Schulenburg has served as executive director since February 2014. Diana Strassmann heads its board of directors. Robert Cummings, Director of the Center for Writing and Rhetoric and Associate Professor of English at the University of Mississippi, also serves on the board. Adrianne Wadewitz (1977–2014), a Wikipedian, had served on the board.
- "QA Frank Schulenburg announcement February 2014". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation. February 12, 2014. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- Monterrey, Carlos (February 12, 2014). "Frank Schulenburg named executive director of Wiki Education Foundation". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- "Press releases/Frank Schulenburg named executive director of new WEF". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation. February 12, 2014. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- "Exempt Organizations Select Check: Wiki Education Foundation". Internal Revenue Service. Retrieved January 11, 2016.
- "Press Release: £80 Billion Wasted Every Year On Global Education Initiatives". World Literacy Summit. March 3, 2014. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- "People, papers and presentations". Rice News. Houston, Texas: Rice University. November 8, 2013. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- "Diana Strassmann". University of Chicago Law School. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- "Visiting Research Fellows: Associate Professor Robert Cummings". University of Sydney. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Garrison, Lynsea (April 7, 2014). "How can Wikipedia woo women editors?". BBC. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Dunican, Rod (April 10, 2014). "Remembering Adrianne Wadewitz". Wikimedia Foundation. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wiki Education Foundation.|
- Official website
- Wiki Education Foundation at Meta-Wiki
- Wikipedia Education Program, Diversifying Economic Quality: A Wiki for Instructors and Departments
- Experiences and Perspectives of Wikipedia Use in Higher Education (PDF), Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC)
- "Editing Wikipedia Entries Is Becoming A Class Assignment In Colleges Across The U.S."
- "Wikis and Wikipedia as a teaching tool: Five years later", by Piotr Konieczny, (user:Piotrus), First Monday, September 3, 2012 (a detailed article about the project)