This page is a chronology of events in year 2010 directly related to Wikipedia and Wikipedians, both within Wikipedia and in the whole wide world. Wikipedia events and events in sister projects (Wiktionary, Wikibooks, etc.) are listed as long as they are related to Wikipedia.
Additions to this page must follow certain rules, because it is hoped that in 50 years or so this page will become a valuable source of scholar research.
- January 1: Bids for Wikimania-2011 open
- January 2: the Catalan Wikipedia was scored first in the List of Wikipedias by sample of articles, the first one to displace English wikipedia from the top position
- January 10: The 100,000th article was created in Hebrew Wikipedia
- February 25: The 500,000th article, Ys, was created in Russian Wikipedia 
- March 2: the "Did You Know" section on the main page presented a fake biography manufactured as a breaching experiment.
- March 11: The British Museum was the first organization to incorporate a wikipedian as an official memmer, titled "volunteer Wikipedian in residence"
- July 9-11: m:Wikimania 2010, 6th annual Wikimedia Conference, took place in Gdańsk, Poland
- Signpost Week of Jan 4: Shubinator (nom).
- Signpost Week of Jan 11: Olaf Davis (nom).
- Signpost Week of Jan 18: Rlendog (nom).
- Signpost Week of Jan 25: Floquenbeam (nom).
- January 14: Cool3 was emergency-desysopped after CheckUsers confirmed that the user was an incarnation of community-banned Thekohser.
- January 30: Craigy144 was desysopped by ArbCom for general misconduct (not related to admin rights)
- March 15: Trusilver was summarily desysopped for misuse of his administrator tools
- April 10: Altenmann was summarily desysopped for misuse of his administrator tools
Death and retirement
- January 2: JuJube (talk · contribs) (Ricardo Arturo Lafaurie, Jr., formerly User:Danny Lilithborne) died.
- March 4: JPatrickBedell (talk · contribs) Apparently shot by police in self-defense in 2010 Pentagon shooting.
- While formally Wikipedia:Verifiability and others of Wikipedia's content-controlling policies do not apply outside the main namespace, they must be strictly followed here, for the sake of scholarly discipline:
- The listed event and its date must be mentioned in a wikilinked or externally linked reference. It is advised to consider an external link to a specific version of a Wikipedia page rather than a wikilink, if this page is linked for a critical but volatile piece of information.
- Credible sources must be used only. Within Wikipedia, Wikipedia Signpost is one of them.
- Trivial events must be avoided:
- Wikimedia News, at Meta
- Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2010-03-08/News and notes
- An email from the Museums Computer Group archive
- Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2010-01-18/Arbitration report