|This page in a nutshell: This page documents common tasks administrators do and their best practices. Here admins can learn how to exercise their tools properly before being set loose on the big, wide encyclopedia...|
Welcome admins! This suite of pages documents common admin tasks and how to properly perform them. Administrative tools are very powerful, so it's important you understand how they work before attempting to use them. Here you can learn about everything you can do, and some of the features you'll be able to test out in a safe environment without worry of causing disruption. Spending 15 or 20 minutes here may seem well worth it if it keeps you from ending up in the village stocks.
Please note that as an operator of an account with administrative privileges, you should review your user account security practices.
Some of these pages will provide you with a way to practice using the tools in an environment that will not harm the encyclopedia. Others simply document what you are able to do and their best practices.
- Viewing deleted pages and contributions
- Fixing cut-and-paste moves (e.g. WP:HISTMERGE)
- Granting and revoking user rights
- Cleaning backlogs
- Dealing with spam
- Dealing with disputes
- Edit filters
- Tools, scripts and gadgets
- WP:Administrators' reading list
- WP:Advice for new administrators
- WP:Closing discussions (a frequent admin task, but not covered in the guide above)
- WP:In the news/Administrator instructions
- WP:List of administrators
- what adminship is not (an essay)
- Administrator review
- Category:Administrative backlog
- Template:Admin dashboard