Wikipedia:April Fools/April Fools' Day 2006
April fools 2006
The resurrected tip of the day project, after a hiatus of over a year, was relaunched on this day with this announcement:
Due to generous donations by several large corporations, Wikipedia can now afford to pay editors. All editors with over 1000 edits are eligible to apply. For details on how to register for the payroll,
And of course, the fun didn't stop there...
- Requests for adminship/Mathbot Created by User:CanadianCaesar
- Requests for adminship/Vandal Created by Jaranda
- Requests for adminship/127.0.0.1
- Wikipedia:Votes for deletion/10th GNAA VfD ON WHEELS! created by User:Ashibaka
- User:Jaranda/Articles for deletion/Carthage created by User:Cato the elder
- User:Jaranda/Articles for deletion/Arab-Israeli conflict The debate itself was AFD'd at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Articles for deletion/Arab-Israeli conflict
- The main page for 5 minutes
- The unprotection of the main page by Drini
- Wheelation process & Articles for wheelation by Luigi30
- User:Jimbo Wales, primarily by User:SonicAD, protected by Cyde. Was up for over 12 hours, and over 7 consecutively.
- Protect/Delete buttons swapped by User:BorgHunter.
- Wikipedia:Esperanza tagged as copyvio by Drini 
- User:Gflores adding Willy on Wheels to Wikipedia:Good articles.
- User:Rickyrab, User:BorgHunter, and User:Deckiller toying with Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Can't sleep, clown will eat me 33 1/3 (see here)
- User:Deckiller finally revealing himself to be Willy on Wheels. He also adds the infamous userbox series to User:Willy on Wheels, and will most likely get blocked for it :)
- User:Sammy on Skids' reign of terror begins, with many vandal-related edits.
- Metric craptons of userboxes by User:Cyde. See WikiFools Generator. (This is what 1000 userboxes looks like)
- User:Deckiller creates a whole new vandal persona inspired by an old vandal. See User:Deckiller/long term abuse/Diddley vandal
- Wikipedia's first IRC chat by User:BillyH
- Leet by Treec, AKA Logan Kriete  (originally attributed to "anon editor", was Treec's/LoganK's IP address)
- Extreme overlinking 
- User:Lbmixpro blocked indefinitely per decision of WP vandals. 
- PROD Template - Counterstrike edition
- Wikipedia:Featured deletion discussions and Wikipedia:What is a featured deletion discussion by Daniel Case
- Wikidomination Document by User:Dr. B
- Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Wikipedia, created by Sikon
- Intentional Prank Unit by Treec/Logan Kriete
- Buchanan-Hermit's lack of tolerance for "vandals" like himself.
- Wikipedia:Featured picture candidates/Ceiling Cat - pic by User:Samguana, nom by Harro5
- Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Bad Jokes and Other Deleted Nonsense
- User:TKE is shamelessly copying other editors by being blocked by the CVU, because he enjoys sarcasm and needs a day off.
- User:Macintosh User/User talk:You, by Macintosh User, placed in a link on BJAODN.
- Celestianpower added a new messages bar to Special:Recentchanges and it stayed there for 24 minutes.
- Many policy pages were officially approved by The Ministry of Silly Walks.
- The page Infinite Loop was changed to a redirect to Endless loop, Which in turn was a redirect to Infinite Loop!
- An announcement regarding payment for editors with over 1000 edits stayed on the Community Portal for bulletin board for over seven hours.
- Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Special:Random
- The beginning of Wikipedia:Requests for Seppuku (not strictly April Fools, as it was to have continued to exist past today, but it was deleted)
- MediaWiki:Watchlist being changed to stalked pages by Cyde Weys (and subsequent block until 2006-04-02)
- Articles for deletion/Main Page
- User:Georgewilliamherbert/Jimbo Whale Jimbo gets stalked, Fin at 11.
- Wikipedia:No Personal Attacks was approved by The Ministry of Silly Walks for almost 12 hours.
- Members of the #wikipedia IRC channel crapflooded GNAA chat with informative and erudite statements about Keynesian economics. Chat log at User:AKMask/log.
- Addition of Jimbo Wales to Nomination of new users in need of help
- User:Fuhghettaboutit asks a really silly question at the science reference desk and is taken quite seriously.
|April Fool's Day on Wikipedia