|Warning: You take full responsibility for any action you perform using CSVLoader. You must understand Wikipedia policies and use this tool within these policies, or risk losing access to the tool or even being blocked from editing.|
CSVLoader is an AutoWikiBrowser plug-in that allows creating and updating articles using CSV data files. This plugin can create new articles (for example, cities or plants) or add text to existing articles (for example, add missing infoboxes). It was developed by Ganeshk. The first version of the tool was made available on 25 May 2008.
Please test your changes in sandbox before running the plugin on the article space.
- If you are using the new AWB 6.0, here is the Download link (Current Version 126.96.36.199). After the DLL file is extracted from the zip file, right click on the file and select properties. In the Properties dialog, click Unblock button under the General tab and click Apply and then OK.
- If you are using the older AWB 5.0, here is the Download link (Older version: 188.8.131.52). Please select File menu - Download option. Please extract the DLL from the zip file and copy it to AutoWikiBrowser folder. If the download is blocked by Microsoft SmartScreen filter, use the Run Anyway function to download the file.
Walkthrough to create articles with AutoWikiBrowser
- Step by step walkthrough can be found at this page.
Walkthrough to find and replace strings using CSV data files
- Step by step walkthrough can be found at this page.
Examples and Tips
- Data samples and tips can be found at this page.
Projects that used this plugin
- Creation of basic stub articles for around 20,000 marine snails by Ganeshbot on the English Wikipedia. — Ganeshk
- Maintenance of Creator namespace at Wikimedia Commons — Jarekt
- Creation of basic taxon pages by KoumzBot at Wikispecies — Koumz
- Creation of articles on Tamil Wiktionary. Around 100,000 dictionary entries were created. — தகவலுழவன்.
- Used by many Dutch contributors of the Animal Project. Around 300,000 articles were created. — Grashoofd
- Creation of Livonian proper noun form entries on the English language Wiktionary. — Neitrāls vārds
- Creation of about 8000 "Foo (disambiguation)" redirecting to DAB page "Foo" on the Persian Wikipedia. Saeidpourbabak
- Creation of transcluded pages in Tamil wikisource and other maintenance works. -- Balaji (Let's talk) 03:00, 12 September 2018 (UTC)
- Creation of stub articles for red-linked members of the 275 Seventh Parliament of the Fourth Republic of Ghana. A Parliament of Ghana working group project within Wikipedia:WikiProject Ghana. -Masssly (talk) 22:19, 15 February 2019 (UTC)
Full source code is available on Google Drive for version 184.108.40.206 and version 220.127.116.11. The plugin was originally developed using Visual Basic 2008 Express and recently recompiled with Visual Studio Community Edition 2017 on .NET 4.5 and x86 build. The language used is Visual Basic.NET.
- 18.104.22.168 - Convert first character to upper case and replace underscore with space if language is English (removed Wikipedia check from 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199) - March 1, 2020
- 188.8.131.52 - Fix the broken Find and Replace functionality - January 6, 2019
- 184.108.40.206 - Disable plugin when settings are reset or cleared. ##BR## special word will now add two line feeds - December 29, 2018
- 220.127.116.11 - Add ability to add numbered or bulleted lists with List symbol option. - December 27, 2018
- 18.104.22.168 - Fix an issue with Find and Replace. AWB was adding additional slashes (\) to the find word, these were removed. Skip checkbox will not auto-select - December 24, 2018
- 22.214.171.124 - Recompiled the source code to be compatible with .NET 4.5 and AWB 6.0. - December 23, 2018
- 126.96.36.199 - Convert first character of the title to upper case only if the current project is English Wikipedia. - April 29, 2014
- 188.8.131.52 - Display the article that has the column mismatch error. - February 4, 2013
- 184.108.40.206 - Convert first character of the title to upper case only if the language is English and site is Wikipedia.
- 220.127.116.11 - Fixed a bug with converting the first letter of article titles to upper case and site is Wikipedia.
- 18.104.22.168 - Fixed a bug when the edit summary is blank. Changed the delimiter default from tilde to comma (the instructions use comma). Added a special keyword ##BR## that will add a newline.
- 22.214.171.124 - Fixed caption spelling for separator. Fix when article name has underscore character. Check to make sure the number of columns on the file matches the number of columns on the column header. - September 18, 2011
- 126.96.36.199 - Fixed a bug with custom Edit summary box. Edit summary was not showing up in manual edit mode. - September 3, 2011
- 188.8.131.52 - Added custom Edit summary box. Fields can be used in the edit summary. - August 30, 2011
- 184.108.40.206 - Use Monospaced font for the content box. Changed the caption from Article text to Append/Prepend/Replace text. - February 6, 2011
- 220.127.116.11 - Compatibility test with AWB 18.104.22.168 was successful. - February 4, 2011
- 22.214.171.124 - Fixed a bug with the Replace option - May 19, 2010
- 126.96.36.199 - Find and Replace function (example) - May 6, 2010
- 188.8.131.52 - Option to create lists - April 21, 2010
- 184.108.40.206 - Support for UTF-8 format - March, 10, 2010
- 220.127.116.11 - Added ability to accept a CSV file to overcome limitations of the AWB text file upload program - February 27, 2010
- 18.104.22.168 - Compatibility test with AWB build 5001 was successful. - February 22, 2010
- 22.214.171.124 - Fixed bugs so that the plug-in works with AWB build 4902
- 126.96.36.199 - Added ability to use custom separators (for example, tilde). This will be needed when the CSV data contains "comma" characters.
- Allow the settings window to be resized.
- Add support for find and replace using Advanced settings.
- AWB feature request - Article creation using CSV files
- AWB feature request - Remove text file upload limitations
- Phabricator ticket T208787
- Phabricator ticket T246375