|This page is currently inactive and is retained for historical reference.
Either the page is no longer relevant or consensus on its purpose has become unclear. To revive discussion, seek broader input via a forum such as the village pump. It was last updated 28 May 2013.
|United States and Canada|
|Wikipedia Ambassador Resources|
Wikipedia Ambassadors are volunteers who work with educators and student editors in the Wikipedia Education Program. As an Ambassador, you advise educators while they design their assignments, answer editing questions from students, and monitor student contributions to offer feedback relevant to Wikipedia norms and guidelines. Ambassadors are, most importantly, supportive, constructive, civil, and respectful.
This page can serve as a hub for Ambassador resources, information about becoming an Ambassador, and tips on supporting classes and getting the most out of your experience as a Wikipedia Ambassador.
- 1 Current Wikipedia Ambassadors
- 2 Ambassador roles
- 3 Resources for Wikipedia Ambassadors
- 4 Communication
- 5 Get involved as an Ambassador in the Wikipedia Education Program
Current Wikipedia Ambassadors
Campus Ambassadors are students, staff, faculty, and local residents who provide face-to-face Wikipedia training and support on university campuses. Their role is to:
- support any professors in the area who have incorporated (or are interested in incorporating) a Wikipedia assignment into their classroom
- help professors develop an assignment that is appropriate both for their students' learning objectives and Wikipedia
- give in-class presentations that introduce student editors to Wikipedia norms and editing basics
- offer support and constructive advice during the assignment via email, on-wiki, in class, labs, and in other appropriate campus venues
- work with other Wikipedia Ambassadors to make sure professors and student editors have all relevant information and that program leaders can evaluate each class.
- On June 30, 2018, the Education Extension will be shut down. This user access will become useless in Wikipedia but it will reserve its importance at real Wikipedia education program activities.
Online Ambassadors are, first and foremost, experienced Wikipedia editors who are interested in helping new student editors during their classroom assignments. Their role is to:
- provide constructive feedback to student editors and educators
- answer questions about editing
- direct student editors and educators to appropriate resources
- support classes as a liaison to other community members, as needed
- explicitly praise good work (e.g. give out barnstars, post good contributions from student editors to the trophy case)
Resources for Wikipedia Ambassadors
- The main communication portal for those using Wikipedia in the classroom is the education noticeboard, which you should add to your watchlist. On the noticeboard, you can participate in discussions about specific classes, ways to improve support to the academic and Wikipedia community, and you can respond to requests from educators and student editors.
- Campus Ambassadors should use this resource page for tips on working with educators, students, and Online Ambassadors in the Wikipedia Education Program.
- Online Ambassadors should use this resource page for tips on working with educators, students, and Campus Ambassadors in the Wikipedia Education Program.
- Remember that the primary location for communicating about your classes, other classes, or the Wikipedia Education Program in general is the education noticeboard. Please don't hesitate to join in discussions, start new threads, or direct student editors and educators to post here.
- If you haven't already joined the Ambassador mailing list, please add your email address. This is low-traffic but sometimes has relevant information or tools to help you in your role.
- If you use IRC regularly, or need to try to reach someone immediately, the #wikipedia-en-ambassadors connect IRC channel is the place to find fellow Ambassadors.
Get involved as an Ambassador in the Wikipedia Education Program
If you are unfamiliar with the Wikipedia Ambassador roles and are interested in applying, please first read about the expectations, commitments, and application criteria before beginning the application process.
Steps to becoming a Campus Ambassador
- Complete the Ambassador training
To apply, create a new section on this page for your application using the input box below and answer the questionnaire. Replace USERNAME with your own username.
- Once you have this user right, create a Campus Ambassador profile
Steps to becoming an Online Ambassador
To apply, create a new section on the Education noticeboard for your application using the input box below and answer the questionnaire. Replace USERNAME with your own username.
- If the community of current Online Ambassadors approves you, complete the Ambassador training
- Request the online volunteer user right on this page (or, if you are a Wikipedia administrator, you may grant yourself access)
- Once you have this user right, create a Online Ambassador profile