Wikipedia:Don't delete the main page
|This page in a nutshell: There are jokes, and then there are "oh, hell no" situations.|
One admin was discussing the deletion of the main page in IRC and asked if the technical ability to delete pages with over 5,000 revisions, like the main page, had ever been re-enabled. Another admin (jokingly) commented that he had tested it and found that the main page still couldn't be deleted. The first admin thought he would test it for himself. The main page got deleted.[a]
You might think you are having a laugh, but sometimes, the joke is missed. If you find yourself having to say "jokes do not come across well here", you are best off having avoided the joke in the first place.
In other words, do not even joke about causing disruption – someone may miss that it was meant in humor or sarcasm and act on it.
As honored in the village stocks, this succeeds the admin who locked the servers for half an hour by deleting the Sandbox, necessitating the restriction of deletions for pages with over 5,000 edits. It is followed by the editor who used a bot to add 1,200 useless edits to the Main Page, hoping to bring it up to the 5000-edit level where it would not be deletable. Fortunately, the English Wikipedia Main Page now enjoys a sui generis immunity to deletion in the software.
- Wikipedia:Silly things/Template:Uw-delmain1
- Wikipedia:Don't stuff beans up your nose
- Wikipedia:Bad Idea Machine
- Wikipedia:Village stocks – other very bad ideas that have been tried
- Wikipedia:April fools/April Fools' Day 2004/Delete the main page
- This was not, by a long stretch, the first time the Main Page was deleted. See its deletion log entry. Some resulted from the involved administrators' accounts being compromised. For example, the deletion as of 05:08, December 8, 2007 – which resulted in a desysopping – was apparently the account being used by a relative after the admin failed to log off, and the incident as of May 7, 2007 was the result of a password hack.