|This page is an essay, containing the advice or opinions of one or more Wikipedia contributors. Essays are not Wikipedia policies or guidelines. Some essays represent widespread norms; others only represent minority viewpoints.||
|This page in a nutshell: Editing should be enjoyable. Never let Wikipedia become a chore.|
Wikipedia can be stressful. Requests for arbitration are made and accepted every week. Many talk pages are filled with conflict and even personal attacks. Some editors spend most of their time trying to prevent and cool down conflict.
However, Wikipedia is not supposed to be about conflict. It should be about building an encyclopedia. And that can be stressful too! But the key issue here is what editors get out of working on the encyclopedia—nothing, besides the personal satisfaction. Editors are supposed to enjoy themselves on Wikipedia. This is all too often forgotten. Most Wikipedians enjoy writing for the encyclopedia, but problems arise when they don't enjoy themselves. All editors should remember this at all times. Enjoying yourself is the key to Wikipedians remaining active on the project. If you are ever not enjoying yourself, you need to step back and consider what you are doing. Remember how to remain calm when editing becomes stressful. But never let Wikipedia become a chore. Never feel like you have to keep editing and discussing for Wikipedia's sake, because you don't.
- Wikipedia:No personal attacks ever. No excuses.
- Wikipedia:Wikiquette includes the sometimes useful advice "Come back after a week or two".
- Wikipedia:WikiLove reminds us "It's only the internet! Breathe...... and relax!".
- Wikipedia:Department of Fun is a great place to take a break and have some fun.
- Wikipedia:Wikipedia is a volunteer service Remember, you're a volunteer and you're not obligated to do anything