|This page is an essay on notability. It contains the advice and/or opinions of one or more WikiProjects on how notability may be interpreted within their area of interest.
This advice page is not a formal Wikipedia policy or guideline. It might not provide valid criteria for an AfD nomination, or a noticeboard action or other dispute. However, it may be consulted for assistance during any discussion of an article subject's notability, or when considering creating a standalone article. The degree of consensus that went into creating this essay (a potential measure of the reliability of the advice) can be judged by consulting the history and talk pages.
Note that past AfD closures made prior to the development of these criteria (5/2/2008) cannot be used as precedents for keeping articles. Any future changes to the criteria must be proposed and debated at WP:FOOTY.
The player section of this notability guidance has been superseded by WP:Notability (sports), and is included below for information only as a record of the previous guidance that the Footy project came up with.
Players are deemed notable if they meet any of the criteria below:
- Have played for a fully professional club at a national level of the league structure. This must be supported by evidence from a reliable source on a club by club basis for teams playing in leagues that are not recognised as being fully professional.
- Have played in a competitive fixture between two fully professional clubs in a domestic, Continental or Intercontinental club competition.
- Have played FIFA recognised senior international football or football at the Olympic games.
- Pre-professional (amateur era) footballers to have played at the national level of league football are considered notable (no other level of amateur football confers notability).
Should a person fail to meet these additional criteria, they may still be notable under Wikipedia:Notability.
- All teams that have played in the national cup (or the national level of the league structure in countries where no cup exists) are assumed to meet WP:N criteria. Teams that are not eligible for national cups must be shown to meet broader WP:N criteria.
- All leagues whose members are eligible for national cups are assumed notable.
- All leagues that are a country's highest level are assumed notable.
- All other leagues are assumed non-notable unless they can be shown to meet broader WP:N criteria.