Talk pages consultation 2019In February 2019 the WMF announced a global consultation on tools for wiki communication, which ran until June 2019. See Wikipedia:Talk pages consultation 2019.
|This page is currently inactive and is retained for historical reference.|
Either the page is no longer relevant or consensus on its purpose has become unclear. To revive discussion, seek broader input via a forum such as the village pump. Some forward-looking statements are superseded.
|MediaWiki has documentation related to: WMF Global Collaboration Team|
Flow, also known as Structured Discussions, is a project of the Global Collaboration team at the Wikimedia Foundation to build a different discussion and collaboration system for Wikimedia projects. Flow can replace the current Wikipedia talk page system and intends to provide certain features that are present on some other popular websites, but which are not easy to implement in wikitext.
For example, Flow automatically signs posts, threads replies, and permits per-topic notifications. With wikitext a bot is used to automatically sign posts that are unsigned. Flow also results in the loss of certain features within wikitext, such as the ability to use the "history" tab to view all comments since one looked at the talk page last, and the ability to easily portray article content on talk pages.
The main goals for the Flow project are
- to make the wiki discussion system more accessible for new users.
- to make the wiki discussion system more efficient for experienced users.
- to encourage meaningful conversations that support collaboration.
Flow is currently deployed on several talk pages on Mediawiki.org and on various language Wikipedias. Flow was uninstalled from English Wikipedia in November 2016, by request from the community. You might encounter it on other Wikimedia wikis however. There are currently no plans for it to return to English Wikipedia.
- Global Collaboration development team roles and responsibilities
- Global Collaboration team IRC channel: #wikimedia-collaboration
- Collaboration-Team triage board on Phabricator
- You can also view this about Structured Discussions on Phabricator: open tasks, all tasks, or submit a new task.
- The name comes from Workflow and Flow (psychology).
- Wikipedia talk:Flow/Archive 15#Flow removed from Enwiki for now