This is a list of text-searchable, free to access (no-pay, non-subscription/-membership/-login) online English newspaper sources. As a rule, entries on this list access many thousands or millions of newspaper pages; they are intended to provide a significant resource to aid in building Wikipedia articles, in which citations to reliable sources is the lifeblood of proper content and at the core of all of Wikipedia's content policies and guidelines, such as notability, verifiability, neutral point of view, and no original research. Websites that provide only limited free material, thus cutting off the bulk of a much larger database, such as The New York Times, are not included.
CONTINENTAL or NATIONAL resources
- Caribbean Newspaper Digitization Project (titles from various countries, 1900–present) – archive of historic and current newspapers from the Caribbean, providing access to over 2.6 million pages.
- Chronicling America – digitization project of the U.S. Library of Congress; a smorgasbord of American newspapers published between 1777 and 1963; approximately 20,000,000 pages.
- European Library Newspapers – European newspapers from 20 countries, dating from 1618 to the 1980s.
- Newspaper SG - Singaporean newspapers dating back to 1827
- Papers Past – digitization project of the National Library of New Zealand; over 6 million New Zealand newspaper pages, 270 thousand pages of magazine and journal content, as well as certain letters, diaries and parliamentary papers. Up to 1971 for one newspaper; only up to 1950 for many newspapers.
- Trove – digitization project of the National Library of Australia; over 23 million Australian newspaper pages.
- Welsh Newspapers Online, over 15 million articles from 1804 to 1919 in over 100 newspapers primarily published in Wales.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library - 60 million pages, natural history literature
- Media History Digital Library - Public domain and lapsed-copyright entertainment industry trade papers and magazines dating back to the 19th century
- Arizona Memory - 200,000 sources, incl Arizona Historical Digital Newspapers and Arizona Highways
- Anchorage Daily Times (1915 to 1992) provided by the Atwood Foundation.
- BC Historical Newspapers (1865–1994) – database covering 169 British Columbia newspapers, with over 12 million pages available; provided by the University of British Columbia.
- Boston College newspaper collection (1888–2013) – provides over 148,000 pages
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle – Digitization of the historic Brooklyn Daily Eagle newspaper, from 1841 to 1955; approximately 1,500,000 newspaper pages. Also searches Brooklyn Life (10,000 plus pages) and Activities of Long Island Society (53,000 plus pages).
- California Digital Newspaper Collection – provides over 10.0 million pages.
- Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection (1859–2021; approximately 2.5 million pages)
- Elephind – text searchable free database with access to over 200 million items from 4,345 newspaper titles.
- Florida Digital Newspaper Collection
- Georgia (US State) Historic Newspapers - provides 984 newspaper titles from 1763 to the present day.
- Google News Archive — an unsupported (abandoned) database. Most useful to find a specific date of a specific newspaper. Limited searching ability. (See Google News Archive.)
- The Guardian – all content is free. It is not clear how far back the archive goes, but it extends at least to 1999.
- Illinois Digital Newspaper Collection - Includes 209,000 issues of 198 newspapers from the U.S. state of Illinois
- Hoosier State Chronicles - Includes 1.4 million pages of newspapers from the U.S. state of Indiana
- The Independent – archives of The Independent from 30 June 1992 to present.
- Manitobia (1869–present) – 37 Manitoban newspapers provided by Department of Canadian Heritage.
- Digital Michigan Newspapers - 78,904 issues comprising 800,041 pages
- New Mexico Historical Newspapers - 200,000 pages
- New York State Historic Newspapers – provides over 11.7 million newspaper pages.
- North Carolina Newspapers (1824–2011) – text searchable database of 1161 student and community newspapers from schools and towns around North Carolina.
- Old Fulton NY Post Cards – a private digitization project; contains over 51 million old New York State historical newspaper pages.
- Historic Oregon Newspapers - 2.2 million pages
- Pennsylvania Newspaper Archive at Penn State
- Texas Digital Newspaper Program - text searchable database in partnership with The Portal to Texas History
- Utah Digital Newspapers - 6.3 million pages from 374 newspapers
- Virginia Chronicle, Library of Virginia over 2.5 million pages and nearly 239,000 articles as of March 2022.
- Newspaper Archives, Indexes & Morgues – A list of online newspaper archives like this page, curated by the Library of Congress (includes both pay and free sources)
- Wikipedia:List of online newspaper archives – Note: includes newspapers that are behind a paywall and a large portion are not text-searchable
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Resource Exchange/Shared Resources
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Resource Exchange/Resource Request
- List of academic databases and search engines
- List of digital library projects
- List of scientific journals
The Wikipedia Library (talk | e)
Research tools and services