Archives of Ontario GLAM Page
Welcome to the Archives of Ontario's GLAM Wiki page! The Archives of Ontario is one of the largest provincial archives in Canada and a premier source of information about the history of the land we now call Ontario and its people.
Here you'll find information about how the Archives of Ontario is enhancing its presence in the Wikimedia ecosystem by sharing digital materials on Wikimedia Commons, encouraging editors to use our resources for writing articles and improving metadata, and other forms of collaboration.
We’d love to hear from you! Please send an email to email@example.com or leave suggestions on the talk page about what kinds of collections you'd like to see uploaded to the Commons, how you've been using the images, and how the Archives might collaborate with the Wikipedia community to enhance the value of our collections and share the extraordinary stories contained in our records.
Click here for a complete gallery of images available in the Wikimedia Commons from the Archives of Ontario's collections.
2020 Bulk Uploads
For its first batch of bulk uploads, the Archives of Ontario decided to feature visual records from collections in the public domain that showcase diverse subjects and record types.
- Photographs from the Alvin D. McCurdy fonds
- This collection features more than 115 uploaded images collected by Alvin D. McCurdy. Many images date from the late 19th and early 20th centuries and document the social history of the Black community of Amherstburg, Ontario.
- Photographs from the Bartle Brothers fonds
- This collection features more than 90 images taken by professional travelling photographers, Simon Peter Bartle and Herman Arthur Bartle from 1895 to 1910 in Stormont and Glengarry Counties.
- Photographs from the M.O. Hammond fonds
- This collection of photographs, taken by journalist, editor, writer and amateur photographer M. O. Hammond, includes images of numerous renowned Canadian artists and politicians in the early 20th century.
- War posters from the Archives of Ontario poster collection
- This collection features 200 posters from Canada, Great Britain and the United States promoting recruitment, Victory Bonds programs, and other wartime initiatives.
- Documentary art by Elizabeth Simcoe from the Simcoe Family fonds
- This collection predominantly features a selection of images works of art documenting late-eighteenth-century Ontario (then Upper Canada) and Quebec (then Lower Canada).
2021 Bulk Uploads
- Photographs and related records from the General Engineering Company (Canada) fonds
- This collection features more than 90 images and related records documenting the General Engineering Company (Canada), known as GECO, which developed and manufactured munitions at its Scarborough, Ontario plant during the Second World War.
- Photographs from the William Hampden Tener fonds
- This collection features 385 photographs taken by William Hampden Tener during the early 1900s in the Rainy River District in Ontario.
- Photographs from the George Irwin fonds
- This collection features 64 photographs taken by George Irwin during the early 1900s on Manitoulin Island, Ontario.
- Photographs from the Ontario Government Record Series RG 65-35 Tourism promotion photographs
- This collection features 274 photographs taken by the Government of Ontario between 1948 and the 1980s that were used to market, advertise and promote tourism in Ontario.
- Photographs from the Marsden Kemp fonds
- This collection features 876 photographs taken by Marsden Kemp from the late 19th century and early 20th century in Eastern Ontario.
2022 Bulk Uploads
- Photographs from the Ontario Society of Artists fonds
- This collection features over 100 photographs that document some of the activities of the Ontario Society of Artists.
- Photographs from the Ontario Government Record Series RG 2-71 Photographs of the Audio-Visual Education Branch
- This collection features close to 300 photographs used by the Audio-Visual Education Branch of the Ontario Department of Education as visual aids in schools. They document activities in many parts of Ontario.
- Canadian Expeditionary Force photograph albums
- This collection features 129 photographs taken from the Canadian Expeditionary Force photo albums. They were taken at Vimy Ridge, the Somme and Ypres and other nearby locations. Other photos were taken in London.
Textual Record Transcriptions
We are hoping to collaborate with the Wikipedia community by encouraging editors to create transcriptions of selected textual records from our collections. Please let us know on the talk page of any textual records or subjects from our holdings that you would like to see featured.
Check back to learn about future Wikipedia-related events hosted by the Archives of Ontario.