Wikipedia:GLAM/British Museum/Ice Age Event - October 13, 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:BM Ice Age Art event, October 2011.|
Behind the Scenes Event- October 13th, 2011
This was a full-day event to encourage participation in the Wikipedia:GLAM/BM/Ice Age art project to improve coverage of Ice Age art or the Art of the Upper Paleolithic on Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia projects, including the early history of the rediscovery and interpretation of these objects. The British Museum is planning an important exhibition for Spring 2013 on this, and the project will run until then.
This is a rare opportunity to have guided tours of the collections at Franks House, where the British Museum's Palaeolithic and Mesolithic objects not on display live. It will also be possible to photograph some objects at Franks House, which will be very useful for the project (and at Bloomsbury in the normal way). Places are strictly limited to 20 because of the facilities at Franks House. We are very lucky to be having a generous amount of time with Jill Cook, Deputy Keeper of the Prehistoric & Europe Department, who specializes in Palaeolithic and Mesolithic material and its interpretation in the 18th century, and Nick Ashton, Curator of Palaeolithic and Mesolithic collections.
The schedule is subject to amendment.
|10:00 - 10:30||Welcome and Introduction||Franks House||Jill Cook, Johnbod for Wikimedia UK|
|10:30 - 11:45||Option 1: Guided viewing of objects in the study room (max. 10 people)||Franks House study room||Jill Cook|
|Option 2: Behind the scenes tour of Franks House (max. 10 people)||Tour||Nick Aston|
|11:45 - 13:00||Option 1: Behind the scenes tour of Franks House (max. 10 people)||Tour||Nick Ashton|
|Option 2: Guided viewing of objects in the study room (max. 10 people)||Franks House study room||Jill Cook|
|13:00 - 14:00||Lunch at Franks House|
|14:00 - 15:00||Travel under own steam to the British Museum||Tube, bus etc|
|15:00 - 16:00||Gallery Tour of Room 2 and Enlightenment Gallery, Room 51 if time||BM Bloomsbury, meet Room 2||Jill Cook|
|16:00 - 17:00 or before||Conclusion, discussion, next steps||Moser Room||Jill Cook|
|17:30 onwards||End and Pub||TBA||All invited|
- Franks House, 56 Orsman Road, London N1 5QJ - Google maps Between Hoxton and Haggerston, east London
Buses: All now use led location signs and make audio announcements for the name of the stop
- From London Bridge (stop "M" is at a temporary location, look for stop "F" and follow the sign) or Liverpool Street – bus 149 to Laburnum Street stop opposite the Suleimaniye Mosque after St Leonard’s Hospital.
- From Liverpool Street or New Oxford Street – bus 242
- From Holborn: bus 243
Underground: Old Street on Northern Line then 15 minute walk or 243 bus heading North.
- British Museum, main Bloomsbury site - getting here
Places at Franks House are strictly limited to 20; for the afternoon session at Bloomsbury we have more room, so there is a separate section if you can only come for this. The purpose of the event is primarily to encourage editing in this area.
Please make sure that we can contact you if needs be - enable "email user" in your user settings if you are logged in. If you have any special dietary requirements or mobility issues, please state them when you sign up. The lunch will be sandwiches - please note there is effectively a two hour break for lunch and getting over to Bloomsbury, so if you want to make your own arrangements & don't need sandwiches, please say so. If you don't have a username and do not want to list your name publicly, please email User:Johnbod
Whole schedule, 10 am to c.5 pm
- Johnbod (talk) 21:45, 24 September 2011 (UTC)
- Fæ (talk) 07:44, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- RHaworth (talk · contribs)
- Marek69 23:12, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- PatHadley (talk) 17:31, 27 September 2011 (UTC) - Now confirmed
- Discott (talk) 08:59, 28 September 2011 (UTC) - Will be there.
- Starhunterfan (talk) 22:43, 28 September 2011 (UTC) - I haven't edited in these areas before but have a strong interest and would love to attend (and edit in future). (no show)
- BrainyBabe (talk) 22:01, 30 September 2011 (UTC) Strong interest in paleolithic & neolithic art (& life). Vegetarian sandwiches please.
- Logperson 8:54, 7 October 2011 (UTC) I am interested in and collect mesolithic artefacts.
- Gabi Teodoru (talk) 04:40, 10 October 2011 (UTC) Most likely will be able to. Will change my RSVP if I cannot.
- Charles Matthews (talk) 13:37, 12 October 2011 (UTC)
- E O'C Ecwoc (talk) 14:27, 12 October 2011 (UTC)
3 pm onwards only
- Macdonald-ross (talk)
- Andrew Davidson (talk) 16:42, 13 October 2011 (UTC) Came to the Moser room just after 5 but didn't see anyone. Would come to the pub if I knew which one it was...
An excellent day, thanks to the generous amounts of time given by Jill Cook and Nick Ashton. Several specific additions to the Wikimedian projects already are listed on the main project page, but we have well over 100 photos of objects and people on Commons, and a page on Objects in Sieveking, Ann "A catalogue of Palaeolithic art in the British Museum". The project goes on, so please sign up if interested. Johnbod (talk) 21:39, 31 October 2011 (UTC)