Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/Wikimedia Leadership Bootcamp 2018
Wikimedia Leadership Bootcamp 2018
Wikimedia Leadership Bootcamp 2018 (Wikibootcamp) is a three-day training session in Washington, DC. Held previously in 2016, 2014, and 2013, its purpose is to provide leadership training for Wikimedians in the United States who are interested in gaining advanced knowledge and skills. It is organized jointly by Wikimedia DC and the National Archives.
Wikibootcamp offers training and networking opportunities involving a number of topics, including train-the-trainer, community leadership, event organization and planning, institutional outreach, grants, online tools, risk management, safe space policies, and integration between sister wiki projects. Previous attendees have gone on to key positions in the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia Affiliates, and to work as Wikipedians in Residence and Wikipedia Visiting Scholars.
- Friday, June 15, 2018 10:00AM - 5:00PM
- Saturday, June 16, 2018 10:00AM - 5:00PM
- Sunday, 17, 2018 10:00AM - 11:30AM
- National Archives - Innovation Hub (Friday)
- National Archives - Washington Room (Saturday/Sunday)
- 700 Pennsylvania Ave NW
- Washington, DC 20408
- Government-issued ID
- Please bring your own laptop.
Co-lead organizers / points of contact
Safe Space policy
This Safe Space Policy provides information pertinent to Wikibootcamp, a Wikimedia District of Columbia ("Wikimedia DC") event. Its purpose is to ensure that Wikibootcamp is free of harassment and other unwelcome behavior. It is also printed and posted on walls at Wikibootcamp. In addition to this policy, each Wikibootcampers was asked to read the Wikimedia Foundation policy for Safe Space and to complete the online training about it.
If you would like to speak with someone regarding a safe space issue, please reach out to these even organizers who are attending the event and are staying at the event's hotel:
- Kelly Doyle
- Robert Fernandez
- James Hare
- Kevin Payravi
- Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight
- Megan Wacha
|10:00 AM||Opening; welcome||Rob, Rosie|
|10:15 AM||Keynote: Engaging New Audiences||Kelly|
|11:15 AM||Article ranking session||Jason|
|11:30 AM||Culture Crawl: NARA tour||Dominic|
|12:00 PM||Lunch at NARA|
|1:00 PM||Address by the Archivist of the United States||David Ferriero|
|1:20 PM||Group photo||Marble steps|
|1:30 PM||Wikidata training/edit-a-thon||Andrew, Rob|
|4:30 PM||Safe space||Sydney (via Google Hangout)|
|5:00 PM||Adjourn. Walk to no-host dinner.|
|10:00 AM||Welcome||Rob, Rosie|
|10:15 AM||Wikiconference North American overview||Kevin|
|10:30 AM||Structured data on Commons||Alex|
|11:00 AM||Events and their logistics round-table||Moderators: Rob, Rosie|
|11:30 AM||Libraries panel||Moderator: Dominic. Panelists: Carrie, Diane, Kelly, Kevin, Megan, Rob|
|12:00 PM||Culture Lunch @ NGA Sculpture Garden|
|1:05 PM||Lightning Talks||Abishek, Ashleigh, Carrie, Heather, Jina, Jackie|
|2:05 PM||Lightning Talks||James, Maria, Rachel, Stacey, Steve, Wolf|
|3:00 PM||Local communities/groups||Kevin|
|4:00 PM||Wikipedians-in-Residence panel||Moderator: Diane. Panelists: Dominic, James, John, Kelly, Rachel|
|4:30 PM||Wikipedia Visiting Scholar||Moderator: John. Panelists: Diane, Jackie, Rosie, Wolf|
|5:00 PM||Adjourn. Walk to no-host dinner.|
|10:00 AM||Affiliates, governance, grants||Kirill|
|10:15 AM||Wiknic; WALRUS||Megan|
|10:30 AM||Public policy||Peter|
|10:45 AM||2030 Wikimedia Strategic Direction||Rosie|
|11:00 AM||Post Mortem round-table|
|11:30 AM||The End.|
We identified key volunteers who have done significant outreach, advocacy, GLAM, or community work involving Wikimedia projects in the United States for this invitation-only event. Transportation, shared housing, and meals during the workshop will be paid for or reimbursed. Participants are required to complete some Wikimedia Foundation online training modules before attending. Participants are also required to prepare in advance a lightning talk of no more than 5–10 minutes with a slidedeck about their previous accomplishments involving Wikimedia outreach, events, or community organizing and leadership.
# wikibootcamp founder
- National Archives Building
- Address: 700 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20408-0001
- Please note that access to the National Archives venue location requires government-issued ID. When entering, you will be required to pass through a security checkpoint, sign in, and show valid ID. We will also visit other nearby buildings, so it is important to keep your ID with you at all times.
- The Friday venue site is the Innovation Hub at the National Archives. There will be a sign in the lobby.
- The National Archives is across the street from Archives station (Green/Yellow), and can also be accessed with a short walk from Federal Triangle station (Blue/Orange/Silver) or Judiciary Square station (Red).
- For more information about getting to NARA, go here
- The following public transportation routes are available to and from local airports and Amtrak.
A pre-event survey was distributed in February 2018 to gauge interest. A post-event survey will be distributed after attendees return home.
Previous WMDC wikibootcamps
Wikidata in brief (d:Wikidata:In one page)
- Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-gadgets, toggle popular tools for English Wikipedia (also on Commons)
- Zotero citation manager, which can store refs and generate citations in wikicode
- + toollabs:iabot, which automatically fills
|archiveurl=in ref sections
- Clipboard manager (many options free and paid per platform), for quick retrieval of items from your clipboard (copy/paste) history
- Text expander (many options free and paid per platform), to create text shortcuts, rather than needing to copy/paste
- outreach:GLAM/Resources/Tools: GLAM tools (including BaGLAMa, GLAMorgan)
- Wikipedia:AutoWikiBrowser for semi-automated edits
- commons:Help:VisualFileChange.js, commons:Help:Gadget-Cat-a-lot, commons:Commons:Pattypan for multi-file ("batch") editing on Commons
- GLAMorgan and GLAMorous, for stats on image views in a certain Commons category
Media related to Wikimedia Leadership Bootcamp at the National Archives 2018 at Wikimedia Commons
- Managing Institutional Partnerships, useful links:
- WikiConference North America 2018, useful links: