Wikipedia:GLAM/Library and Archives Canada BAC-LAC
Welcome to the GLAM page of Library and Archives Canada (LAC). This page will cover all the projects and events undertaken by LAC as part of its collaboration with the GLAM initiative. Using our vast collection, we will be focusing on sharing resources to enhance, enrich and fill the knowledge gap within Wikimedia projects.
LAC's collection includes a large number of books (more than 20 million in several languages), images (almost 30 million including photographs, prints and digital images), films (over 90 thousand including documentaries as well as silent, short and full-length films), newspaper archives, sheet music, drawings, plans, maps and other materials.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:GLAM BAC-LAC.|
Aims and Objectives
- Develop a meaningful relationship with the Wikimedia Foundation and contribute to the Wiki-universe knowledge.
- Increase public knowledge about our bibliographic and archival material.
- Upload media from our collection to Wikimedia Commons. Then, encouraging public to enrich Wikipedia articles with the images released.
- Be a reliable bibliographic source to feed and improve references in Wikipedia articles.
- Host Edit-a-thons and other events hoping to attract new editors.
- Contribute to the GLAM community development becoming an example to other Canadian institutions.
- Provide a multilingual (English and French) project page that might serve as a model for future GLAM institutions.
- Share lessons and knowledge acquired during our GLAM journey with the Wikimedia community.
- include banner with images already uploaded
- Category used for tracking purposes
See the tracking work done by Walters Art Museum
First World War Edit-a-thon
If you are an editor who is passionate about military history or Wikipedia, register now for Library and Archives Canada’s first Wikipedia workshop and edit-a-thon, to be held in Ottawa on November 15, 2017.
In honour of Remembrance Day, the theme is the First World War and Canada’s role in it. Join us for this bilingual event where you will learn how to edit Wikipedia articles and explore reference documents like photographs, service records, soldiers’ journals and other items in our extensive collection.
All editors—experienced and new—are welcome.
Sign up for the first editathon taking place on November 15 at 395 Wellington, Ottawa below:
RESOURCES FOR EDIT-A-THON
LAC resources on the Commons
Themes for upcoming events
This section aims to collect information about our learning path and will help us develop a case study article.
- Batch upload category
- How to use LAC material?
- How to do multimedia research on LAC website?
- Other ways to access to images: maybe talk about Flickr?
- Help:Interwikimedia links
- Wikipedia:User page design center/Style
- Help:Protected pages
- Meta:Research:GLAM visual tool
"GLAM visual tool can monitor the cooperation between GLAMs and the Wikimedia projects. More specifically : it produces three interactive visualizations, it produces the front end of the tool, it suggests visualizations which can support the cooperation between GLAMs and the Wikimedia projects."
- Patty Pan
A press release after first batch upload or any other event or project:
- Local newspapers?
- Website and social media
- Wiki Online Newspaper The Signpost
- Relevant mailing list: