The Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO) is a consortium of libraries and archives in New York. The focus of this project is educate METRO member institutions about how they can use Wikipedia to fulfill their institutional missions and reach new audiences.
Upcoming and recent events
History of Wikipedia engagement
From August 2013 - April 2015 METRO employed Dorothy Howard, Wikipedia user:Hexatekin, as Wikipedian in Residence to coordinate Wikipedia events for METRO's member organizations. After that person left the role, what remained were the less frequent but regular Wikipedia events managed by other METRO staff and the Wikipedia partnerships that began in that time and continued to develop. METRO and the local Wikipedia chapter, Wikimedia New York City, continue to partner and Wikimedia NYC continues to be available to support any area METRO members which want Wikipedia assistance.
Introduction to GLAM-Wiki
- Wikimedia New York City, Events support, volunteer support, local Edit-a-thons. Contact: <wm-nycATwikimedia.org>.
- The Wikipedia Library, setting up Wikipedia collaborations or programs, help recruiting qualified volunteers, Wikipedia Library Interns program, database subscriptions for Wikipedians. <wikipedialibraryATwikimedia.org>.
- GLAM-Wiki U.S. Consortium, Advising on institutional partnerships with Wikipedia, training and resources steward for GLAM-specific training materials. Mailing list.
- Wikimedia Education Foundation, Curriculum development, partnerships with academic institutions. Contact: <email@example.com>.
- Wikimedia Foundation Grants, Opportunities for event, staff, and conference / travel grants. Contact: <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- Open Knowledge Foundation, opportunity to post job postings and guest blog posts, advising if you wanted to hire a Wikipedian-in-Residence or Open Data Fellow in the future.