Wikipedia:GLAM/New Zealand Wikipedian at Large
|About||Upcoming Events||Past Events||Get Involved||Discuss|
Dr Mike Dickison is New Zealand Wikipedian at Large from July 2018 to June 2019, funded by a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation to help New Zealand organisations and the people of Aotearoa engage with Wikipedia and open knowledge.
During his term, he will be a Wikipedian in Residence for 2–6 weeks in organisations ranging from museums to nature reserves, from Auckland to Dunedin, training staff and helping them use their expertise to improve Wikipedia and make images, text, and video freely usable by the public. He'll also be working with volunteer Wikipedia community, organising meetups and running public workshops and edit-a-thons.
To find out more, you can:
- Email Mike at giantflightlessbirdsgmail.com
- Leave a message on his Wikipedia talk page
- Sign up to the mailing list to be kept informed about upcoming events in your area
- Join the Wikipedia New Zealand Facebook group
This list of dates and residencies is open to negotiation, and there is plenty of opportunity for individuals or organisations to get involved.
|2–27 July 2018||Auckland|
|30 July – 9 Aug, 14–17 Aug 2018||Auckland||
|10–13 Aug 2018||Wellington||
|18–22 Aug 2018||Auckland|
|25 Aug – 7 Sept 2018||Dunedin||
|8–28 Sept 2018||Auckland|
|1–5 Oct 2018||Northland|
|6 Oct 2018||Auckland||
|8–14 Oct 2018||Wellington||
|16–18 Oct 2018||Palmerston North||
|19 Oct – 30 Nov 2018||Wellington||
|10–14 Nov 2018||Melbourne||
|3–7 Dec 2018||Invercargill||
|11–21 Dec 2018||Wellington|
|Jan 2018 – Apr 2019||Wellington||Public editing events and talks; various projects and timing of institutional residencies to be arranged|
||Four public editing events plus public talk, training workshops for University students, and a bulk upload of Otago Museum images to Commons.|
|May 2019||Christchurch||To be arranged|
||To be arranged|
I'm happy to talk to media for a story about Wikipedia. Email above, bio and background information here, and publicity photos here, here, here, here, and here. These photos are free to use provided you credit the photographer by name (i.e.: not "Wikimedia").
- Hancock, Farah. (16 Feb 2018). "New Zealand's own Wikipedian-at-large". Newsroom. (Interview about the project grant.)
- Wilson, Zaryd. (22 May 2018). "Mike Dickison gets grant to become travelling Wikipedian". Wanganui Chronicle, p.5
- Ryan, Kathryn. (25 May 2018). "New Zealand's New Wikipedian-at-Large" (audio). RNZ Nine to Noon. (Radio interview.)
- Wikimedia Project Grant – Showcase. (14 June 2018) YouTube video of live project presentations (NZ Wikipedian at Large is the first presentation, 00:36–06:10)
- Wikimedia GLAM Newsletter (June 2018). "New Zealand Report: A New Zealand Wikipedian at Large".
- Auckland Museum (25 July 2018). "Wikipedian in Residence: Mike Dickison". Auckland Museum Blog.
- Chapman, Wallace. (12 Aug 2018). '"Mike Dickison: New Zealand's first Wikipedian whiz" (audio). RNZ Sunday Morning. (Radio interview.)
- Easther, Elisabeth. (Sept 2018). "Mr Wiki: Mike Dickison is New Zealand’s first Wikipedian-at-Large". North and South, p.18
- Hancock, Farah. (13 Aug 2018). "Auckland Museum taking Wikipedia by storm". Newsroom.
- Ezepue, Ebele. (5 Sept 2018). "Wikimedian visits". Manawatu Guardian.
- Northern Advocate (3 Oct 2018). "Wikipedia wants to hear your Northland stories". Northland Advocate
- Macdonald, Nikki. (20 Oct 2018). "National Portrait: Mike Dickison, conservationist and Wikipedian". Dominion Post, p.C3
- Quade, Victoria. (21 Oct 2018). "Educating for Social Change 21-10-2018" (audio). Wellington Access Radio. (Radio interview)
- White, Rebekah. (Nov–Dec 2018). "What's an adzebill?". New Zealand Geographic 154.
- Macdonald, Nikki. (10 Nov 2018). "Who is Wiki-worthy?". Dominion Post, p. A8.
- Macdonald, Nikki. (10 Nov 2018)."Who gets to wear the cloak?". (Notability in Wikipedia, Who's Who, and Queen's Honours.) Dominion Post, p.C1–C2.
- Graham-McLay, Charlotte. (17 Nov 2018). "From Encyclopedic Collector to ‘Wikipedian-at-Large’ in New Zealand". New York Times, A6
Reports and blog posts
|Month||Institution(s)||Project pages||Monthly Report||Blog post(s)|
|May 2018||New Zealand Wikipedian-at-large|
|July 2018||Auckland Museum||GLAM/Auckland Museum||July||Why engage with Wikipedia?|
|Aug 2018||New Zealand Geographic||GLAM/NZGeo||August|
|Sept 2018||Landcare Research||GLAM/Landcare||September|
|Oct 2018||Te Hiku Media, Antistatic, Massey University, Ministry for the Environment||Edit for Equity 1, 2, 3, 4||October|
|Nov 2018||Melbourne Museum, Archives NZ, National Digital Forum||NZWPAL/Melbourne, GLAM/Archives NZ||November|
|Dec 2018||Department of Conservation, Wellington City Archives||GLAM/DOC, GLAM/WCC Archives||December|
|Jan 2019||Department of Conservation, National Library||GLAM/DOC|
|Feb 2019||Forest and Bird, Zealandia|
|Mar 2019||Massey University, Zealandia|
|Apr 2019||Otago Museum, Dodd-Walls Centre|
|May 2019||University of Canterbury|
|June 2019||Nelson Provincial Museum|