Wikipedia:GLAM/State Library of New South Wales/NSLA Training November 2013
Jump to navigation Jump to search
NSLA Training Day
9.00am - 4.00pm
National Library of Australia
- Rubicon49bce - Created demonstration article: The Capricornian. Demonstration image
- Nikki_7619 (talk · contribs) - The Kadina and Wallaroo times (at "Articles for creation")
- Rubyandlilysmum (talk · contribs) - Adelaider Deutsche Zeitung (at "Articles for creation")
- Sablecrossing (talk · contribs) - Northern Times (Carnarvon, W.A.)
- Wyvernclaw (talk · contribs) - Canberra Community News
- Mandragorastar (talk · contribs) - The Federal Capital Pioneer
- Treen42 (talk · contribs) - The Central Queensland Herald , The Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser (currently nominated for deletion), The Charleville Courier
- Bigpatscreek (talk · contribs) - Traralgon Record
- Taphophile au (talk · contribs) - Canberra Illustrated: A Quarterly Magazine
- Cyclone sunday (talk · contribs) - The Eylandt Echo
- Newspapertas (talk · contribs) - The Leven Lever , The Clipper
- Newupdata (talk · contribs) - The Western Star and Roma Advertiser (was initially proposed for deletion, since passed)
- Tautrawanderer (talk · contribs) - The National Leader
- Newspapersuper (talk · contribs) -
- to learn basic Wikipedia editing skills
- to create articles about newspapers published in Australia that have been digitised as part of the Australian Newspapers Digitisation Program
- Federal Capital Pioneer (Canberra, ACT : 1924 - 1926)
- The Capricornian
- National Leader
- Christmas issue of Leader
- Canberra Illustrated
- Northern Times (Carnarvon)
Before the workshop, participants should:
- Choose a user name and create a user account
Newspaper editing procedures
More information about the SLNSW Newspaper Project.
- Kirkpatrick, Rod (2000), Country conscience : a history of the New South Wales provincial press, 1841-1995, Infinite Harvest Publishing, ISBN 978-0-646-40270-3
- Kirkpatrick, Rod (1984), Sworn to no master : a history of the provincial press in Queensland to 1930, Darling Downs Institute Press, ISBN 978-0-909306-60-1
- Kirkpatrick, Rod; Queensland Country Press Association (2008), Purposely parochial : 100 years of the Country Press in Queensland (1st ed ed.), Queensland Country Press Association, ISBN 978-0-646-49194-3
- Kirkpatrick, Rod; Victorian Country Press Association (2010), The bold type : a history of Victoria's country newspapers, 1840-2010, The Victorian Country Press Association, ISBN 978-0-9775562-2-9
Other useful Wikipedia resources
- The Wikipedia Training Manual developed by the Wikipedia:GLAM/SLQ to help participants continue to use their Wikipedia editing skills in their own time.
- Wikipedia:GLAM/BeginnersGuide with video
- Book:Wikipedia: The Missing Manual
- Wikipedia's Manual of Style
- Model of copyright licences
|User Name||Nice people||Edit button||Nice feeling|
|This video shows some of Wikipedia's contributors, explaining their user names.||This video focuses on the motivations and passion of Wikipedians, and ends with a comment by Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales about what makes the project special.||This video is a direct invitation by Wikipedians to "click that  button and see what happens".||In this video, Wikipedians talk about the joy of being part of a global community of editors.|
- The Impact of Wikipedia A series of powerful videos of people from around the world explaining how Wikipedia has impacted them
- Why Wikipedians are the Weirdest People on the Internet (YouTube) – a humorous presentation by Wikipedian Steven Walling about the culture of Wikipedia and its editors.
- Wikipedia Vision – an animated map that highlights live edits from users around the world as they happen, demonstrating the global nature of the project.
- wikistream – a visualization showing a stream of edits to the most popular Wikipedia projects.
- Wikipedia article traffic statistics – a tool for charting how many hits any given article gets, great for comparing different kinds of articles at different times, e.g., Genetics (in the school year) vs. (in the summer), or YouTube (with weekend spikes) and Simpsons (with spikes when new episodes come out). See how many people are reading your articles.
- Manypedia – a tool for comparing a specific Wikipedia page from a language edition Wikipedia (for example, English) with its equivalent page on another language edition Wikipedia (for example, Arabic), exploiting automatic translation and additional statistics about both pages such as number of edits and editors.
- WikiTrip – a tool for visualizing the animated evolution in time of two kinds of information about the Wikipedians who edited the selected page: their location in the world and their gender.
|Welcome to Wikipedia||Ten Simple Rules||Introduction to free licenses||Evaluating Wikipedia article quality||The Wikipedia Cheatsheet|
|This 17-page guide covers creating a user account, editing basics, communication, and how articles evolve and are evaluated, and includes a quick reference to help you to remember frequently used wiki markup.||This editorial from PLoS Computation Biology focuses on how to contribute effectively as an expert.||This brochure helps you understand the basic concepts of free licenses, as well as terms like "CC-by-SA" and "public domain".||This reference guide covers specific steps you can take to get the most out of Wikipedia, as well as a look at how its quality system works.||This one-page quick reference helps you to remember the most frequently used wiki markup commands.|