Wikipedia:GLAM/The Children's Museum of Indianapolis/BackstagePass
This event has passed. Visit this page for details about the next Backstage Pass.
In an effort to reach out to the local Wikipedia community, The Children's Museum of Indianapolis (TCMI) is opening its doors to Wikipedians interested in learning about the museum's vast collection. The Children's Museum of Indianapolis is the largest children's museum in the world and houses over 110,000 objects. An important component of the TCMI-Wikipedia project is coordinating with Wikipedians, both locally and globally, to use newly shared photos and research content to update articles across a range of subject areas. The backstage pass is a special event which will kick off this collaboration between the museum and Wikipedians. By first reaching out to the local community, and then incorporating help from a variety of WikiProjects, the Children's Museum's resources can effectively be shared throughout Wikipedia.
- Please feel free to create new subpages or add to this page as much as you'd like in order to organize any ideas or suggestions from the Backstage Pass day.
- Requests for details regarding images taken can also be added to the requests page.
- See the Tools section for helpful links regarding content available about TCMI.
There are now three categories in the Commons for Children's Museum Images.
- Images of objects can go in the main Children's Museum category
- Images of people or activities should go in the Backstage Pass category
- The "Images from the Children's Museum of Indianapolis" is specifically for TCMI-created images. This will be added to later.
- Start here.
When: Friday, November 5, 2010
Time: 10:00am–3:00pm EST
Where: The Children's Museum of Indianapolis (how to get there)
The Backstage Pass event includes a tour of the vast Children's Museum collections storage space, with a discussion with collections staff to follow. After lunch, a collaborative workshop between Wikipedians and TCMI staff will be led by User:Witty lama and User:HstryQT. It is not required that you stay for the entire day. If there are only certain times you can attend, simply state that when you sign up.
10:00–11:00am: Tour of Collections
11:00–12:00pm: Discussion with collections staff in Paleo Lab/Dinosphere
12:00–1:00pm: Lunch break: Lunch provided
1:00–3:00pm: Collaborative workshop with TCMI staff
3:00–5:00pm: Free time to tour exhibits
Please feel free to post any questions on the talk page.
- Parking: The Children's Museum offers free parking in their parking garage. The garage is on the museum's west side off of Illinois Street just north of 30th Street. It's attached to the museum's new welcome center by a skywalk. (How to get there.)
- Arrival: We will meet in the new Welcome Center at the bottom of the ramp. You'll be asked to sign in as guests at the security desk.
- Lunch: Lunch will be provided!
- Guests: If you would like to bring a guest, please note this on the sign up section of this page. Collections storage is not appropriate for young children.
- Photography: You will be free to take as many photos as you would like. In fact, new photos uploaded to Commons will be a valuable outcome of the day. There are no photography restrictions in the museum, only the typical copyright concerns with trademarked materials (Barbie, Star Wars, etc.).
- If you can not attend, but have photo requests, please post them on the TCMI project's main page.
Space is limited, so please sign up if you are interested in attending. If a waiting list becomes necessary, you'll be asked to confirm your attendance at a later date. Please be sure to enable the email user feature within Wikipedia so we can contact you if needed. You may also sign up by contacting me.
- Dschwen (+1 wife)
- Witty Lama
- Richard McCoy
- Peter Urda (+2 more)
- jcmiller1215 (+1 wife)
- teacherbrock (+1 wife)
- Jcorry10 (+1 guest)
- Crazycomputers (+1 wife if her work schedule permits)
- Brenda Burk
- Backtable (+1 mother)